Well, Christmas is just a couple days away! This will be only the second time in my 32 years that I won't be home for Christmas, mostly because our school schedule doesn't allow me to catch a flight out in time to be home for Christmas Eve.
My family (Mom's side) always gets together on Christmas Eve for a nice meal, time together, and of course, exchanging gifts. I'm not sure when we started opening gifts on Christmas Eve - maybe in high school - but it's a tradition I've enjoyed because it means that we can sleep in Christmas morning. As a small child, we would wake up, open gifts from Santa, and then rush off to Granny and Grandpa's house for a breakfast of Belgian waffles with raspberry whipped cream. Yum!
This year, I am in a unique situation in that Tyler and I will be alone for Christmas Eve. We have a ham dinner planned for the evening, and we'll probably do some pleasure reading (I just bought all of the Twilight books!) and maybe watch a Christmas movie with Fred. In the morning, I am continuing the waffle tradition before we head over to Richmond to spend the day and night with Tyler's mom, step-dad, brother and step-brother.
After Christmas, we are going to deer camp for a night, followed by a visit to Ty's dad's house for lunch with more family. We are going to spend New Year's at Manoir Hovey in Canada. (It seems like we are making a NYE trip to Canada a tradition. We were in Quebec City last year!) The hotel looks amazing; we will start the day with snowshoeing or a sleigh ride before checking in to get ready for the evening. I believe the night starts with drinks and appetizers, followed by dinner and then dancing and a champagne toast at midnight. So fun! Finally, the Alexander Family Christmas will be the last big event (and I mean BIG!) before heading back to school.
Although most of Christmas break will be spent relaxing, I do have a huge pile of papers to grade, as well as work to do for my online class. I plan to dedicate just one day to grading, planning, and my own schoolwork though... the rest will be fun stuff!
Off to make cupcakes for my 7th graders and white-chocolate hot chocolate for Tyler and myself. I can't wait to try it!
Merry Christmas everyone!
p.s. The elf project at school went off fabulously! The little kids are so excited to have their own personal elves!

Awww.... we will miss you in Florida. We are all looking forward to your visit in Feb. Love you sis!
ReplyDelete