Breathing. It's not something most people think about, unless you can't do it. I've been blaming my poor running recently on my asthma and today it was verified at Dartmouth: I only get about 70% of the air that a "normal" woman my age should. I asked the doctor if running would help my asthma, as this has been one of my reasons for running ("If I keep running maybe I can rid myself of it!"). But she laughed, and sadly, told me it won't help, it only makes it worse (especially when it is cold).
The good news: no allergy shots! She said my asthma is so bad that shots might just exacerbate it. Instead, she said the drugs on the market now are just as good, if not better than, the effect of five years of allergy shots. If I keep up with my "regimen" of asthma and allergy meds, then my asthma should get better over time. Used in conjunction with the warmer weather on its way, I may not need to take my rescue inhaler as much as I do now, and I might even be able to run up a hill sooner than later! Fingers crossed!
The good news: no allergy shots! She said my asthma is so bad that shots might just exacerbate it. Instead, she said the drugs on the market now are just as good, if not better than, the effect of five years of allergy shots. If I keep up with my "regimen" of asthma and allergy meds, then my asthma should get better over time. Used in conjunction with the warmer weather on its way, I may not need to take my rescue inhaler as much as I do now, and I might even be able to run up a hill sooner than later! Fingers crossed!

Oh, my I know how you feel. I remember telling a doctor...tell me anything, but don't tell me NOT to run! It was an addiction! Hang in there and do what the doctor says and hopefully you will be running soon! I am waiting for warm weather to be able to run with my new golden retriever puppy. Love running with a dog!!!
ReplyDeleteGlad there is medicine to help you with your asthma! Get better soon!
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better soon. It's great that you're so committed to running. Take your time or you'll just get frustrated.
ReplyDeleteI have seasonal asthma, so you have my sympathies and I share your frustration. However, you also have my admiration for your running--excellent!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/
I'm so glad you saw a specialist. AND it sounds like there's definitely hope for you to continue running, in cold Vermont, with the right medicines. Hope you feel some marked improvement soon. I'm thrilled about this weekend's weather forecast! I'll bet in Atlanta, you never got so excited about 60's and 70's!
ReplyDelete