This afternoon our school is hosting a History Day competition for 6th, 7th and 8th graders. It is the first round of three competitions that many of my students will be participating in: school, local , state. We have been working on our projects since October, but of course I have many kids who waited until the last minute to complete anything. (I literally have 4 students who sat in my room doing absolutely nothing for hours upon hours - since we have no policy for this at my school, I just had to let them sit! Insane.)
This morning those last few slacker groups came in and worked through their elective classes to finish up. This meant that I lost my planning period since I had to supervise the kids. I think we have some decent projects, and am excited to see how some of the groups do at the local and state competition. History day has definitely been a headache for me, but I think it is worth it for the kids to have the opportunity to work on a long-term research project.
In other news I am working on my third cold of the year. I can't believe how easily I have been catching them! Skit Night is tonight at the high school, and it is always very funny, but I think I may end up spending the night at home in bed with my dog...
Happy weekend everyone!
This morning those last few slacker groups came in and worked through their elective classes to finish up. This meant that I lost my planning period since I had to supervise the kids. I think we have some decent projects, and am excited to see how some of the groups do at the local and state competition. History day has definitely been a headache for me, but I think it is worth it for the kids to have the opportunity to work on a long-term research project.
In other news I am working on my third cold of the year. I can't believe how easily I have been catching them! Skit Night is tonight at the high school, and it is always very funny, but I think I may end up spending the night at home in bed with my dog...
Happy weekend everyone!
Aimee, I hope you feel better. Being sick is no fun. Bravo to you for working with the students on their projects, giving up time too. You are making an impression on these young students. I know. I have two children in middle school and the teachers who invest in them, they love. Thanks for the post. MaryHelen
ReplyDelete