Past Hikes Part 1

I have been hiking with the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club over the past few months and have really enjoyed being outside and meeting new people... even though most of them have quite a few decades on me! Below are pictures of my first hike (about 7 miles) on August 23, 2008 at Ravens Cliffs Falls and Dukes Creek Falls:

This is me at the Ravens Cliff waterfall... it wasn't very impressive because we hadn't had much rain.

This motorcycle was in the parking lot when we finished Ravens Cliff. I wanted to sit on it for the picture but thought I might knock it over!


View at the start of Dukes Creek Falls.


My next hike was on August 30, 2008 with Fred and my friend CC at Kennesaw Mountain. As a history teacher I had been to Kennesaw before, but this was my first time hiking instead of driving the mountain. We accidently did the Burnt Hickory Loop AND the Kennesaw Mountain Trail... a total of 6.1 miles, except we also accidently looped around the top of the mountain twice, so it was probably closer to 7 miles. Fred was tripping over his feet at the very end. I thought I was going to have to pick him up and carry him!


This is Fred stretching as CC and I ate lunch. He was such a good sport! And he got all kinds of attention on the trail, as usual, because he is so stinken' cute!


View from top of Kennesaw Mountain. Not very pretty.


We came across a few Civil War cannons which I thought were pretty cool. Can you imagine lugging those through the forest and up a mountain?


This is Little Kennesaw Mountain. We hiked across it first.


Both of these hikes were fantastic. I did them in old work-out clothes and tennis shoes, although I did splurge for a really cool REI daypack which is now on sale, of course. I lugged my Nikon D-40 around for pictures, but with a group hike you are constantly moving with hardly any time to stop and take pics. Once I am more comfortable I will start hiking on my own or with just one or two friends, that way I won't feel like I am annoying anyone when I break out the camera!

Comments