On September 13, 2008 JL and I hiked with the GATC from Woody Gap to Neels Gap on the Appalachian Trail. It was a little over 11 miles, and it felt like we were going mostly downhill after a steep uphill climb to the tallest point on the AT in Georgia, the top of Blood Mountain. This hike took FOREVER as we had a very slow guy holding us up. Near the end of the hike, the group stopped again at Preacher's Rock and waited for the guy for over an hour! JL and I used the opportunity for some funny pictures and then laid down for a little nap while we waited...
Balancing Rock at the start of our hike
At the highest point on AT in Georgia
At Preacher's Rock
JL and I before napping
Balancing Rock at the start of our hike
At the highest point on AT in Georgia
At Preacher's Rock
JL and I before nappingI seriously hurt my right knee on this hike, but had to play tennis the next day for my ALTA team. After a 3-set match where we lost horribly to a couple of women who shouldn't have been wearing skirts, I could barely walk. (I am still bitter over this match.) I iced my knee, tried to stay off of it (difficult when my classroom is 3 flights of stairs away from the copy machine) and stopped playing sports. In October I finally got an appointment with my PCP so that he could refer me to an Orthopedist (I despise HMOs). The Orthopedist said that I had an overuse injury and he prescribed some anti-inflammatory drugs, a knee brace, and PT. A few days later I could walk Fred again, a couple weeks later I was back to normal. Now I have no excuse for not running!
On November 23, 2008 I did another hike with the GATC . The Flat Creek Loop trail was just under 6 miles long, but it was my first "test-hike" with my knee and I was nervous. Plus, I still don't have hiking boots and it was slippery as hell. When we started the hike it was 32 degrees outside, and I was COLD! I wore lots of layers, but these became cumbersome as the day went on. Also, it was a pain in the ass to take off clothes only to have to put them back on when we hiked into a cold area. Anyway, I didn't take many pics because my camera stayed in my bag most of the time. I do have a group shot courtesy of Norm Melton, one of the guys in the group. You can get an idea of how old most of the members are from this photo!




Comments
Post a Comment