Yesterday, after 7.5 years of relatively peaceful teaching, I experienced my first on-the-job "assault."
While walking my class down to the classroom from lunch, one of my girls threw a rock at her friend, but it hit me instead right on the back of my head. It hurt. A lot. But what's worse is that she really let me down. Instead of the, "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry!" that I expected, she lied and blamed another student. I was so pissed. We ran into our school police officer after the incident, at which point I broke into tears... I am a cry baby after all. He took my kids to class and ripped them apart while I re-grouped in the bathroom. My student apparently admitted to what she had done immediately and was taken to the office. She got 3 days of out-of-school suspension.
My AP said that the student was very sorry for what she had done, and I totally believe that. Middle school kids do dumb things, but they should own up to their actions! Today I got a phone message from the mom. She tried to take off of work to apologize for her daughter in person, but her boss would not let her leave. She said that she was very sorry for what happened and asked if I would "please accept her apologies." (Leaving this message took effort as the mom does not speak English and had to find someone to translate for her!) I know the student feels badly and is going to be so embarrassed to come back to my classroom on Monday. A co-worker told me that some of the other students in class felt so bad for what happened that they wanted to write me apology notes even though they weren't involved! Too cute.
I was spent after work yesterday so I went to my favorite burger joint, Five Guys, for dinner instead of cooking. But today I had no excuse. I stopped by Publix to pick up some things, including some stuff for fajitas for dinner tonight, and noticed some McIntosh apples. Publix did not have these the other night when I made my first attempt at apple pie, and I believe that this was a key ingredient to Tyler's pie in Vermont. So I bought the apples, and thanks to Sandy's suggestion, a Pillsbury pie crust. I also googled the Betty Crocker recipe and found one that looked the same as Ty's. The pie is in the oven now and it smells wonderful! I will add a picture as soon as it is out! 13 minutes and counting! Yum! 

PS... when I walk Fred tomorrow morning it is supposed to be 29, with a wind chill of 19! Fred will be wearing his sweater!
While walking my class down to the classroom from lunch, one of my girls threw a rock at her friend, but it hit me instead right on the back of my head. It hurt. A lot. But what's worse is that she really let me down. Instead of the, "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry!" that I expected, she lied and blamed another student. I was so pissed. We ran into our school police officer after the incident, at which point I broke into tears... I am a cry baby after all. He took my kids to class and ripped them apart while I re-grouped in the bathroom. My student apparently admitted to what she had done immediately and was taken to the office. She got 3 days of out-of-school suspension.
My AP said that the student was very sorry for what she had done, and I totally believe that. Middle school kids do dumb things, but they should own up to their actions! Today I got a phone message from the mom. She tried to take off of work to apologize for her daughter in person, but her boss would not let her leave. She said that she was very sorry for what happened and asked if I would "please accept her apologies." (Leaving this message took effort as the mom does not speak English and had to find someone to translate for her!) I know the student feels badly and is going to be so embarrassed to come back to my classroom on Monday. A co-worker told me that some of the other students in class felt so bad for what happened that they wanted to write me apology notes even though they weren't involved! Too cute.
I was spent after work yesterday so I went to my favorite burger joint, Five Guys, for dinner instead of cooking. But today I had no excuse. I stopped by Publix to pick up some things, including some stuff for fajitas for dinner tonight, and noticed some McIntosh apples. Publix did not have these the other night when I made my first attempt at apple pie, and I believe that this was a key ingredient to Tyler's pie in Vermont. So I bought the apples, and thanks to Sandy's suggestion, a Pillsbury pie crust. I also googled the Betty Crocker recipe and found one that looked the same as Ty's. The pie is in the oven now and it smells wonderful! I will add a picture as soon as it is out! 13 minutes and counting! Yum!


PS... when I walk Fred tomorrow morning it is supposed to be 29, with a wind chill of 19! Fred will be wearing his sweater!

Omg Aimee! I didn't know that happened at school! Horrible!
ReplyDeleteThat pie looks delicious, and Fred is adorable in his new sweater. : )