Tyler's Visit

Memorial to those Vermonters who died while prisoners at Andersonville

Memorial to Clara Barton
Providence Spring
Tiny stream that all of the men had to share


13,900 Union soldiers burind here

Ty's flight got in 2 hours late Saturday night, which was the first of three nights staying up past midnight. Although we were both very, very tired by the time we got back to my apartment Saturday night, it just didn't feel right to say, "Welcome to Atlanta! Time for bed!" Sunday we were exhausted (I normally go to bed around 10) so we spent the day being lazy. We went to Pitty Pat's for an early dinner of steak (Tyler) and fried chicken (me) and then sped home to catch the Academy Awards. Tyler's backpack was once again too irresistible for Fred, who dined on Ty's trail mix and a granola bar while we were away. This was the second night of staying up until midnight... and probably the first time I have watched the entire award ceremony.

Monday morning we left the house around 9AM and went down to Warner Robins to pick up Tyler's Uncle Mark and Cousin Keagen. We had a huge lunch at a local Mexican restaurant before heading to Andersonville for the day. On a small, 2-lane road I was pulled over by a Georgia State Trooper. How awful. I was going 72mph in a 55 zone and now owe the state $168. This is my first speeding ticket in the state of Georgia. Andersonville was very interesting; much more fun to visit with Tyler than with a bunch of 8th graders! We watched an introductory movie first and then spent some time in the National POW Museum. We then walked the grounds of the prison camp and imagined what it must have been like to be a prisoner there. We looked at several monuments before making our way down to the Providence spring towards the back of the property. There is a pretty interesting story related to the spring. Before leaving we stopped by the cemetery to check out the graves of thousands of Union soldiers who died of starvation, disease, etc. at Andersonville.


Suddenly, there came a thunderous, deafening roar. From men who knew the sound all too well, it was said to be like the explosion of a thousand cannon. It was so powerful that the weaker men standing near the west wall were thrown to the ground. Then, from the heart of the deep blue cloud, came a great, blinding flash – followed nearly immediately by searing bolt of blinding white lightening. It too exploded from the sky, violently striking the earth just within the stockade at a notorious point known as the Dead Line, beyond which no prisoner could pass without being shot. At the place where the fiery lightening struck there was another tremendous explosion, and a stunning eruption of earth and steam filled the air. Instantly, torrents of fresh water gushed from the blasted, broken ground, pouring forth and coursing into the prison. This awesome water was cool and clean, and its flow was to become a permanent thing.

The thunderous lightening had found the highest point of an underground stream, and the name of Providence Spring emerged nearly as quickly as the waters came forth to the relief of the thousands.
We made it back to Atlanta without getting another ticket - I asked Tyler to drive since I had such bad luck earlier in the day. I was worried that Fred might have had a bathroom disaster at the house, as he was home about 10 hours by himself. Fortunately, we opened the door to clean carpets. Unfortunately, Fred found Tyler's backpack and ate his last granola bar. You can tell that Tyler hasn't lived with a dog in a while! We grabbed some pizza from Fellini's and brought it home to eat while we watched "Into the Wild." This was the last night we stayed up late! Thank goodness... I require 9 hours of beauty rest!

Tuesday we slept in and had a lazy morning while getting ready for our hike at Springer Mountain in North Georgia. It was another 2-hour drive, so again I asked Ty to drive in order to prevent another ticket. We had to take several country roads until we ended up at the bottom of the mountain where we had to take the Accord up a 6.8 mile gravel road to the parking area. I had a death grip on the door as we crawled up the mountain - especially when we came across snow on the ground - I thought we might slide right off! Tyler said, "This is a great road!" Right.

Once at the parking lot we debated whether or not to let Fred run around off his leash. I voted no, Tyler voted yes. In the end we compromised by agreeing that if Fred was killed in the woods by a grizzly bear it was Tyler's fault. :) To my amazement, Fred stayed with us the entire time! He would run ahead and check things out, run back to check on us, run back ahead. He LOVED being out in the woods. Because there was snow melting all over the place (which resulted in some crazy mud), Fred turned into a black dog during the hike - but he was having such a good time that I really didn't mind having to give him another bath later. It was about a mile hike to the top of Springer Mountain - the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. We arrived at the top right as two thru-hikers were starting their journey. One of the hikers told us that he has a blog; I'll be checking in periodically to see how they are doing!

We enjoyed the view and the weather from the top of Springer for a while - it was quite warm, no breeze - I think I even got some sun on my face! We finally left to finish the last few miles of the hike which were actually on the Benton McKaye trail. As we hiked down the mountain Tyler tried to teach me about the many birds and trees we came across - but I have a terrible memory so I hope he doesn't quiz me! We crossed several streams; Fred was apprehensive at first but I was proud of him for jumping in to cross. (At one point Tyler also gave Fred a little bath in a stream - I am not so sure Fred loved this!) It felt like we had entered a completely different ecosystem as we neared the end of the hike - to me it felt like Costa Rica. In addition to the streams and the sound of rushing water there were rhododendrons everywhere! It felt like a tropical paradise - with snow on the ground.

The hike took about 3.5 hours - exactly what the guidebook said. It took another 2 hours to get home; we were pooped upon arriving at the house and barely had any energy or desire to cook dinner.

Wednesday I had to go to school. Tyler took me to work so that he could use my car during the day. He went for a run at Chastain and then spent some time at the Atlanta History Center. Around 3PM he came up to school to meet some of my co-workers. It was an early-release day for the kids, but we all had to stay for some staff development fun. I was under the impression that we would be working with our teams, which is why I invited Ty to join us... it turned out we were tortured instead. In the end though Tyler still got to meet most of my co-workers and he got to see my classroom.

Thursday was a repeat of Wednesday: Ty took me to school, ran, went back to the History Center, picked me up, and then packed. I hated being at school (especially since I have a student teacher right now which leaves me with nothing to do!) while Tyler was here; in April he will do the same thing when I visit. We left for the airport around 4:30 and it took about an hour in Atlanta traffic to get there. Tyler had commented before that he didn't think Atlanta traffic was all that bad, so I was glad he got to experience the real thing! (He also got to see a car get side-swiped by a truck while he was coming home from the History Center - always an adventure in Atlanta!)
Remnants of an apple that Fred found in Tyler's backpack - this was Fred's third time stealing food from Ty! (Or is it the third time Ty left food in his backpack on the floor for Fred???)

It was very sad leaving Ty at the airport, even though I knew I'd see him again in a few weeks. When I got home he texted to let me know that there was another delay - he didn't end up getting home until after 11, more than 2 hours after he was scheduled to land. This morning he was going out to Glover Camp to visit with family until Sunday. He will also have Monday and Tuesday off to recuperate from his travels and prepare for school - I am so jealous of his time off!


Tyler has all of the pictures from the hike on his camera so I will have to post those later... for now I just have Andersonville and dog pics to share.

Comments