Tennis

Today I had my first tennis match of the women's ALTA season... I played line 4 with a great new partner named Kristen. We played a couple ladies who weren't fantastic, but Kristen said she was having an off day and I am WAY out of practice! We could not have asked for better weather - about 75 degrees and sunny. I was sweating quite a bit and definitely enjoyed our time on the shady side of the court. Poor Kristen had the sun in her eyes every time she served, and the other team was pushing her back to the baseline with massive lobs that forced her to look into the sun. I felt really bad for her. I tried to do my best at the net and got a few winners in, but my serve - as usual - was way inconsistent. I wish I had the time and desire to get out there and practice everyday, but I just don't. Because of this I end up frustrated beyond belief! I remember how to play from my high school days but just have awful execution... once I hit a few balls out or double-fault a couple times I lose all patience with myself and get anxious, making me play even worse. Oh well. We lost the first set today in a tie-breaker and the second set 6-1. The first set lasted an hour and we had at least 3 games that went to deuce 5 times! By the second set we decided we would stop pushing the ball back over and just smash it instead - at least that feels good! Anyway, it was fun even though we lost. Maybe next week...

I have just 10 school days left until spring break and am so excited I could scream! My allergies are going nuts right now so I am hoping that spending a week in Vermont will be good for me. (Of course it will be wonderful to see Tyler!) I am also keeping my fingers crossed that some social studies jobs open up soon. There is a hiring freeze in almost every county in the metro-Atlanta area. I spoke with a lady today who teaches in Cherokee and they have it really bad. A friend of hers had taught full-time for many years with the county but went part-time after having her second child last year. Because Cherokee just cut all part-time work, this woman lost her job and now can't get a full-time one. Crazy! Fulton county - where I teach - is opening several new schools next year but instead of hiring new teachers we are just shifting some around from school to school. Anyway, I know someone would be grateful to get my position! My school is so fantastic and most of my classes next year are in the Talented and Gifted program.

I have been procrastinating writing a quiz and a test so I suppose I should get to work! Have a great week!

Comments

  1. Your tennis stories make me laugh because I just started learning to play tennis last summer- from a high school student. Your worst day is most likely 1,000 times better than my best day!

    I hope schools start posting positions soon, so you might be able to schedule an interview or two during your week in Vermont in April. I think many schools issue contracts by April 15th and they need to be returned by the 30th- so after that is when the schools get a good idea of vacancies for the following academic year.
    Good luck with that.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment