Stressed and Nervous

Today marks 32 days until I am in Vermont - hopefully for good. I am slightly anal retentive (don't laugh, Katie!) and have already made a calendar and several To-Do lists, but am suddenly feeling the pressure of getting everything done in time. I think it would help if I had a job already in place for next year, but even the idea of leaving just for the summer is stressing me out!

Regardless of whether I move permanently or not, I have to pack up my entire classroom by May 22. If I come back next year I'll be moving into the new building, so I've decided to take home all of my things for safe keeping (things were lost in the move down to the portable last year). I started a couple weeks ago and already have a few boxes stacked up at the apartment. My goal is to get everything boxed and home by May 1. The school will be open every Saturday in May so I have plenty of time to work then, but still have LOTS of stuff to do before the year is over including the 7th grade unit plans for the county that I do not want to complete! I wish I could tell them to keep their money and their work, except it would be nice to have some extra money for my move.

Today I reserved a hotel room in PA for Saturday the 23rd. After discussing with Dad I've decided to drive 11 hours on Saturday to Harrisburg, PA and then do the last 8 hours on Sunday the 24th. I'll get to Tyler's mom's house after they've all run their half-marathon. The longest I've ever driven by myself is about 7-8 hours home to Rock-Vegas, FL so this should be a real test! I originally thought I'd do the trip in 3 days but now think I'll be too antsy to get there sooner than later.


I've also put in a request to have my mail forwarded for the summer, and the address changed on my magazines to ensure that I actually get them... but this even stresses me out because I don't know what will happen if the mailman delivers to Atlanta anyway? Will my box just overflow? What if I do get a job? Will we stay in Newport? Move somewhere else? My car registration is up May 26th in GA - it's $250 to renew. Do I renew it here and say goodbye to $250 if I end up with a job? Do I go ahead and register my car in VT for $50?


Then there is the question of my apartment. My lease is up August 15th and I am sure they will want me to renew sooner than later. Should I pack up my things in hopes that I will be making a permanent move in August? If I don't do it now Tyler and I will have limited time later to get it all packed and moved into a truck for the drive north.


My sister's babyshower is Mother's Day weekend. It will be nice to see my family - and her belly - before the baby comes, but it's another 7-8 hour drive! I have to teach until 3:30 on Friday, pick up Fred, and get on the road ASAP, but I won't get to FL until 11PM at the earliest. Saturday will be her shower and Sunday I'll make the long drive back home. Just thinking about it makes me tired!


It would be so much easier if I had a job already, although it will still be difficult to leave my kids, my co-workers and my friends here in Atlanta.

Comments