Yesterday I had one hell of a day. It all started when I discovered that my very helpful 3rd period boys had loaded up some boxes of books upside down in my car, and managed to scratch up the entire back of my trunk in the process. Bless their hearts; they truly didn't mean to do it - they just didn't know any better!
Once home, I looked everywhere for this large moving cart we have in our building but could not find it. I had to carry 5 very heavy boxes of books (some turned upside down) from my car to my apartment. I got two into my house and then decided that because rain was on its way, I should unload the remaining boxes into the lobby first to avoid getting soaked. I got two boxes onto the bench in the lobby when a neighbor and her daughter (about 10 yrs. old maybe) came into the building. I held the door open for them and went to my car (directly in front of my building, mind you!) to retrieve the last box. To my surprise when I re-entered the lobby I discovered that one of my boxes had been opened and that books were missing! (I couldn't tell which books because this was one of the boxes that had been flipped over and they were in disarray.)
I knew the only people who had time to do that were the neighbors but I didn't know what unit they live in - so I put a pleading note on their car to "please return my classroom books." The box was clearly labeled "Classroom: Student Novels" and taped shut pretty well. Anyway, this really ticked me off. I just couldn't fathom going through someone's stuff and taking things!
I came home today and hoped to see books on my doorstep - but there were none. However, when I went to take Fred for a walk a few minutes ago I opened my door and found:

I thought the box felt significantly lighter after the "break-in" but I also thought perhaps my mind was playing tricks on me. At any rate, I am glad to have my books safely at home!
________________
I have one more day to teach this week (and I'm doing a lesson on music during the Vietnam War so it's a pretty easy day) and then have Friday off for my appointments and the 7 hour drive to Florida for Katie's baby shower. I am super exited to see my family and to take Mom out for Mother's Day. Then I am back for final exams, the 8th grade dance, and Olympics! We had our final Beta Club meeting/party today. It was actually a little bit sad for me because I have enjoyed working with the kids... I can't believe I'll be moving in less than 20 days!
Comments
Post a Comment