Fred Meets (Snapping) Turtle

Last week the snapping turtles started laying their eggs near our house. Apparently they do this for about a week, and then disappear until the eggs hatch. One of the neighbors, George, said that most of the eggs are eaten right away by the local fox (foxes?).

Tyler and I took Fred on his nightly walk last week, and after carefully making our way through "Bat Alley," we came across a snapper digging a hole. At first I was afraid to let Fred near the turtle for fear that she would take out an eye or something, but then I thought, "Well, that would teach him." He ran right up and started sniffing away. He looked confused as to what kind of monster he was looking at. "Sure doesn't small like a dog," I imagined him thinking.

I picked Fred up and took him down the road a way in hopes of preventing an eye-plucking. Tyler and I spotted a beaver swimming and were so distracted by it that Fred managed to get all the way back to the turtle by the time we were finished watching him.

Fred doesn't bark. Well, he rarely barks. It's so rare that when I hear his bark I don't recognize it.

Fred was barking at the turtle. Running in circles around it, sniffing it, barking some more. It was almost like he was trying to warn us to stay away. I'd wished I brought my camera.

We had to pick Fred up to get him to leave her alone. But I knew that wouldn't be our last encounter with a monster.

The next day I brought my camera out for our walk (we saw 2 turtles!):

From Fred Meets Turtle


From Fred Meets Turtle


From Fred Meets Turtle


From Fred Meets Turtle


From Fred Meets Turtle


From Fred Meets Turtle


From Fred Meets Turtle

Comments

  1. I used to catch baby snapping turtles in Maine where I grew up. Be careful of the Mamas - they say if a snapping turtle bites you, it doesn't let go until sundown.

    They're not the prettiest creatures in the world, are they?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment