This weekend we went to deer camp to hang out and scout for moose. Tyler also wanted to sight-in the gun he'll be using for moose season, but he forgot it in Richmond. Anyway, we got in Friday night and Tyler made corn-chowder, which was very good. The fire made the camp so warm and toasty that I had no problem falling instantly to sleep in my mummy bag - probably the best sleep I've ever had.
We got up Saturday morning (Tyler early to read and grade papers while Fred and I continued to sleep in for way too long) and had breakfast. We went on a walk to the old West Wheelock Cemetery and made in back just in time to see Ed, Sandy and Eli driving by with Calvin and Cedric right behind. We were able to visit for a short time before going back outside to hike. We did see a lot of partridge, and determined that Fred may have some bird dog skills. Near the old deer camp, we saw fresh signs of a moose - Tyler thought we had probably just missed him! As we were leaving the woods we saw the family leaving. We were sad that we didn't have more time to spend with them. Saturday night Tyler and I did some serious reading before hitting the sack. Again, a fabulous night of rest for me!
Sunday we got up and did some more reading/grading for school. It briefly started to snow, which I thought was really cool. In the afternoon we went for another hike and saw a few more birds. We packed up around 4ish and left for home well rested and ready for Monday. On the way out, near the gate, I spotted a real live bear sitting under an apple tree. I couldn't believe my eyes! of course, I shouted out to Tyler and the bear ran off. I'm just glad we didn't see him while we were walking through there earlier!
Here are some of the best pictures from the weekend:
We got up Saturday morning (Tyler early to read and grade papers while Fred and I continued to sleep in for way too long) and had breakfast. We went on a walk to the old West Wheelock Cemetery and made in back just in time to see Ed, Sandy and Eli driving by with Calvin and Cedric right behind. We were able to visit for a short time before going back outside to hike. We did see a lot of partridge, and determined that Fred may have some bird dog skills. Near the old deer camp, we saw fresh signs of a moose - Tyler thought we had probably just missed him! As we were leaving the woods we saw the family leaving. We were sad that we didn't have more time to spend with them. Saturday night Tyler and I did some serious reading before hitting the sack. Again, a fabulous night of rest for me!
Sunday we got up and did some more reading/grading for school. It briefly started to snow, which I thought was really cool. In the afternoon we went for another hike and saw a few more birds. We packed up around 4ish and left for home well rested and ready for Monday. On the way out, near the gate, I spotted a real live bear sitting under an apple tree. I couldn't believe my eyes! of course, I shouted out to Tyler and the bear ran off. I'm just glad we didn't see him while we were walking through there earlier!
Here are some of the best pictures from the weekend:
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
| From Deer Camp Oct 2009 |
LUCKY!!!! I have never ever seen a real live bear. That must have been awesome! Glad you had such a nice time in Wheelock. I remember those carefree days (pre-Elijah) when it was less work and more relaxation! We enjoyed our visit, and hope to catch up with you again soon. Bunco Nov. 13th, no pressure- just keep it in mind in case you're looking for something to do. :-)
ReplyDeleteThose photos make me homesick, even though I have never ever slept at deercamp, old or new. Looks like a beautiful fall weekend.
ReplyDeleteJust wait til you see a MOOSE!
Gorgeous pictures of Vermont in the fall, Thanks Aimee!
ReplyDeleteI remember the line from "The Quiet Man" when Maureen O'Hara says, "I need my things about me" or something like that?? Good luck on the closing!
"Auntie Laura"