Weekend, finally!

This weekend, Tyler and I are headed to Deer Camp to debrief after our first 5 weeks of school. Hopefully, the weather will be nice so that Ed, Sandy an Eli can join us on Saturday. We hope to hike, take some fall photos, read, and play with Fred in the woods. (I am secretly very excited to stop by Currier's Market on our way. I love walking around in there discovering new delights!) Although it will be cold (highs in the 50s, lows in the 20s) I am really looking forward to getting away (from what? the big city of Newport? Island Pond? I suppose I am already pretty far "away" from everything!).

This week we started our state standardized testing. The kids did 3 days of Reading and 1 day of Math; next week they have 2 days of Math and 1 day of Writing. The test is weird to me because they have to answer between 12-15 multiple choice questions and 2-3 essays per session. So far my kids have written 11 essays in 4 days - INSANE! Because of our schedule, I got to have my 8th graders all day this week, but next week I'll only get to teach my 7th graders. It's strange having the same kids all day long - and sometimes very annoying too.

Things are getting better at school. I'm getting into a routine and feeling like I am starting to have a little more free time. The kids are really growing on me, and I am learning how to teach them so that they can learn the content and the skills (both academic and social) to succeed next year. (Although at the end of a Friday I still feel pretty worn out...)

I've enjoyed playing on the volleyball team with Tyler and his co-workers from the high school. Even though we aren't very good, it is a lot of fun to just play. I signed up for an indoor soccer team for women. I think the season starts at the end of the month; I haven't played since high school but I'm looking forward to meeting some new people and getting in some running, without actually having to run in the cold!

Tyler and I are getting closer to closing on our house: October 30! We stopped by the house last weekend and ended up buying an Ethan Allen dining room table for only $150 from the current owners' garage sale. What a deal! We are now on the lookout for chairs to match... I am very much looking forward to the day when I can come home to a house full of all of my stuff. So much is in storage now, and so much stayed in boxes at my apartment last year, that I'm sure as we unpack I'll find "new" things for the house.

Just a random note, my DonorsChoose project (#327324) is almost fully funded thanks to Candelle, Mom, Meredith and Todd. Only $98 until my kids get a whole collection of new books! Thank you, thank you, thank you for donating!

Here's to hoping you all have a wonderful, relaxing weekend!

Comments