Tyler's brother Matt had a successful Monday, snagging his third deer this year during muzzle-loading season. Congrats, Bobcat!
My Monday, on the other hand, wasn't so great. I think the snow has convinced my kiddies that Christmas break is starting... now. Although I had decent lesson plans, they were not into it and it made for a very long day. (I also had parent conferences during planning and after school - so no time to get anything else done.) After school Tyler and I went out to cut down our Christmas tree and headed to Shaw's for our weekly grocery run. We got home in time to eat quickly and get out the door for volleyball.
As much as I love playing volleyball, our team is not very good (fun, but we have no skills) - and it hogs up priceless time on a Monday night. This week we played from 6:30 until around 8:30 because we had a bye for our last match. Most nights we are not finished until 9. Because I am tired and hungry after school, I do not rush home and immediately plan or grade papers... so I always think it will happen after volleyball. But, it never does. This leads me to Tuesday.
Tuesday I arrived at school ready to go, sort of. My lesson plans were okay, but I left several pieces to my 7th grade African government lesson at home, and had to ad lib through 60 torturous minutes. The kids (all of them) had no intention of learning anything; they were concerned about the upcoming storm and whether or not it would cancel their basketball game. (Actually, my 8th graders were way into finishing The Diary of Anne Frank at the end of the day, so it wasn't a total loss.)
Last night I had a play-off game for my indoor soccer team. I went in during the first half and played for about 5 minutes, before being taken out by a girl on the other team. She didn't mean to do it, but she stuck her leg out and tripped me and I fell flat on my face, bracing the fall with my right wrist, shoulder and ankle. I was out for the rest of the game and was unable to move my shoulder for the rest of the night. After some ice, Advil, rest, a hot shower, Icy Hot, and stretching, my wrist only feels bruised, but my shoulder feels terrible... My mom says it hurts worse because I am 32 and not 12. Thanks mom. :)
So the weather... my school never closes for bad weather. It is something they pride themselves on. With the upcoming storm Tyler and I predicted that he would have a day off, but I would be driving in at 5MPH. All night I was worried; worried that I wouldn't be able to drive with my stupid right arm hurt, and worried that I would drive off the road on my way to work. At 5AM the phone rang to announce that Tyler did indeed have the day off. At 5:45AM my alarm clock went off for me to go to school. I was so bummed! Tyler came up with an excellent plan: he would drive me into work, go hunting in Island Pond, and then pick me up at the end of the day. As soon as I made a move to get out of bed, the phone rang again. This time the call was for me - Island Pond decided for once they should shut down. Thank you!
What to do on this first snow day? Well, Tyler grabbed his gun and took the opportunity to hunt. He saw 5 deer during the day, but couldn't shoot any of them because they were female or because he couldn't tell. I stayed in and started cleaning and decorating the Christmas tree. I also started an online class today for my language arts certification. The first of three I have to take before the end of the summer.
I was not impressed with this snow day. In Atlanta, school might be canceled for bad weather, but by the afternoon you could go out and run errands, or at least be out enjoying the day. Here, I tried to go outside and was blown down by the wind and then pelted by snow-rocks. Not fun at all. And did I mention that it's cold outside? Thank goodness I bought ski clothes last weekend!
Well, tonight Tyler and I finished decorating the biggest tree I have ever had in my own house. It's huge and beautiful and smells wonderful! And, I already received presents to put under it from my Aunt Bobbie today!
Here are some pictures of the tree and the snowstorm for your viewing pleasure:
Only $25!
I think I did an excellent job supervising. :)
Well done Tyler, well done.
Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree!
Now with no flash so you can see all of the lights! I used 7 strands!
It's like 8 feet tall! And fat, too!
It's real hard to capture the wind speed and sound with a camera... but I tried...
This one shows the snow in motion - blasting by the deck.
My Monday, on the other hand, wasn't so great. I think the snow has convinced my kiddies that Christmas break is starting... now. Although I had decent lesson plans, they were not into it and it made for a very long day. (I also had parent conferences during planning and after school - so no time to get anything else done.) After school Tyler and I went out to cut down our Christmas tree and headed to Shaw's for our weekly grocery run. We got home in time to eat quickly and get out the door for volleyball.
As much as I love playing volleyball, our team is not very good (fun, but we have no skills) - and it hogs up priceless time on a Monday night. This week we played from 6:30 until around 8:30 because we had a bye for our last match. Most nights we are not finished until 9. Because I am tired and hungry after school, I do not rush home and immediately plan or grade papers... so I always think it will happen after volleyball. But, it never does. This leads me to Tuesday.
Tuesday I arrived at school ready to go, sort of. My lesson plans were okay, but I left several pieces to my 7th grade African government lesson at home, and had to ad lib through 60 torturous minutes. The kids (all of them) had no intention of learning anything; they were concerned about the upcoming storm and whether or not it would cancel their basketball game. (Actually, my 8th graders were way into finishing The Diary of Anne Frank at the end of the day, so it wasn't a total loss.)
Last night I had a play-off game for my indoor soccer team. I went in during the first half and played for about 5 minutes, before being taken out by a girl on the other team. She didn't mean to do it, but she stuck her leg out and tripped me and I fell flat on my face, bracing the fall with my right wrist, shoulder and ankle. I was out for the rest of the game and was unable to move my shoulder for the rest of the night. After some ice, Advil, rest, a hot shower, Icy Hot, and stretching, my wrist only feels bruised, but my shoulder feels terrible... My mom says it hurts worse because I am 32 and not 12. Thanks mom. :)
So the weather... my school never closes for bad weather. It is something they pride themselves on. With the upcoming storm Tyler and I predicted that he would have a day off, but I would be driving in at 5MPH. All night I was worried; worried that I wouldn't be able to drive with my stupid right arm hurt, and worried that I would drive off the road on my way to work. At 5AM the phone rang to announce that Tyler did indeed have the day off. At 5:45AM my alarm clock went off for me to go to school. I was so bummed! Tyler came up with an excellent plan: he would drive me into work, go hunting in Island Pond, and then pick me up at the end of the day. As soon as I made a move to get out of bed, the phone rang again. This time the call was for me - Island Pond decided for once they should shut down. Thank you!
What to do on this first snow day? Well, Tyler grabbed his gun and took the opportunity to hunt. He saw 5 deer during the day, but couldn't shoot any of them because they were female or because he couldn't tell. I stayed in and started cleaning and decorating the Christmas tree. I also started an online class today for my language arts certification. The first of three I have to take before the end of the summer.
I was not impressed with this snow day. In Atlanta, school might be canceled for bad weather, but by the afternoon you could go out and run errands, or at least be out enjoying the day. Here, I tried to go outside and was blown down by the wind and then pelted by snow-rocks. Not fun at all. And did I mention that it's cold outside? Thank goodness I bought ski clothes last weekend!
Well, tonight Tyler and I finished decorating the biggest tree I have ever had in my own house. It's huge and beautiful and smells wonderful! And, I already received presents to put under it from my Aunt Bobbie today!
Here are some pictures of the tree and the snowstorm for your viewing pleasure:
| From Christmas Tree 2009 |
Only $25!
| From Christmas Tree 2009 |
I think I did an excellent job supervising. :)
| From Christmas Tree 2009 |
Well done Tyler, well done.
| From Christmas Tree 2009 |
Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree!
| From Christmas Tree 2009 |
Now with no flash so you can see all of the lights! I used 7 strands!
| From Christmas Tree 2009 |
It's like 8 feet tall! And fat, too!
| From Snow Day |
It's real hard to capture the wind speed and sound with a camera... but I tried...
| From Snow Day |
This one shows the snow in motion - blasting by the deck.
I am glad that you are alright, Aimee, from your fall.
ReplyDeleteGlad you got the day off. School was canceled here, too, as we got at least 10 inches of snow today!
Your Christmas tree looks just beautiful all decorated.
Aunt Lisa
I, too, was hopeful that we, in Chittenden County, would have a snow day, but, alas, we did not, nor did we get an 1/2 day nor early dismissal! This will just be the beginning of many mornings watching WCAX to find out the NEK has all schools closed, while I trudge along to school! Your tree looks beautiful, and I love all of your snow. So pretty where you live. Aimee, now that I know you are a proscrastinator, we are kindred spirits!!
ReplyDelete