Fun stuff on a Sunday


I woke up this morning cuddled up with Fred and smelling French toast and bacon. I knew it was going to be a good day - way better than yesterday, for sure! (Yesterday it took over an hour to hook up my scanner so that I could deposit some checks into my online back - which I love, but this was a nightmare... Also, my online class is killing me. There are 6 of us taking the course, 5 of us participate. One student in Hawaii claims that he can't do the work since he is several hours behind us. However, another student is doing her work from Saudi Arabia! Plus, the professor can't be bothered to answer any of our questions - nice. In addition, I was supposed to clean the house yesterday, but not one thing got done.) Back to today, I've already done several fun things this morning.

First, I set up a Skype account. It looks way cool and I cannot wait for MY SISTER to get a camera so that I can talk to Emma-Roo!

Second, I found this really cool map in the NY Times. It basically shows Netflix rental patterns by neighborhood. I love stuff like this!

Third, I have put my name in the lottery for the Vermont Bank 1/2 marathon on May 30. If I get selected I 'll be running with my friend Megan (she teaches history with Tyler). Neither of us have ever run a race of that distance, so it will be a challenge but also fun! Megan introduced me to a FaceBook page called "Bring It!" where members are trying to run 100 miles and do 100 push-ups by March 10, 2010. I took the initial "Push-Up Test" today and was able to do 6 regular push-ups and 17 "knee" push-ups for a total of 23. There is a whole website devoted to doing 100 push-ups in 6 weeks, training 3 days a week.

According to the "Bring It!" plan, I was supposed to start running last week, so I'll have to do 10/11 miles this week to get caught up. I'll be running outside since I don't have a gym membership (was going to join but $190 for 3 months sounds awfully steep!). Tyler said that as long as I spend the next couple months just increasing my overall fitness, I can really start training for the 1/2 marathon in March. As it stands now, I play volleyball every Monday night (and can run in the gym beforehand or during our bye match for free), Indoor Soccer on Tuesday night (run free in the gym again) and ski for a half-day on Thursdays. If I also work on 100 push-ups and run, I should be in okay shape by March! Right?

Comments

  1. I am tired reading this.
    My push up is pushing up my 22 pound baby.
    My running is chasing my 3 1/2 yr old down the block.
    My on-line class is my blog.
    See, we really are just the same! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie - you are totally getting a better workout than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, Julie and I are just alike. My push-ups are actually pull-ups. And pull-ups are harder. Mine is lifting my 20 lb baby. And my running is chasing my 4.5 year old. And my online class is my blog, too! So, really, Julie and I should be best friends.

    Hi Julie, my name is Maggie.

    Actually, I can't believe that I am writing this down, because I sure as heck haven't told a soul this, but I am thinking of training for the Peachtree this July. I figure if it thaws out by March (of course, Atlanta is NO Vermont), then I can start running outside and be trained by then.

    What do you think? Yes, No? Maybe? I'm crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can totally do it Maggie! When is the registration date - I know it fills up fast! (Also, I heard that because there are so many people you can't actually run fast... I also think there is a women's training group... check online!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment