Ahhh Monday's...

It's been one of those days.

I had sub Friday, which always tends to be a nightmare. My 8th graders also happened to be starting a major project Friday - the timing couldn't be worse. The sub did the best she could to explain the directions, but the kids were lost. It probably doesn't help that the unit (on Manifest Destiny/Westward Expansion) has stretched on for weeks due to the 1 1/2 week-long winter break. I really didn't expect much out of them, I honestly hoped they'd just read the directions and start brainstorming - which they did.

This morning I started my day with 8th grade US History. The kids pulled out their packet of directions and then looked at me patiently. It was at that moment I realized they didn't have a clue. I took a chance anyway and spent 15 minutes or so reviewing the directions. I implored them to start. Nothing.

By 9AM I made the executive decision to scrap the project altogether in favor of an open-book test tomorrow. The kids cheered at my decision and, although this means more work for me tonight, I feel better knowing they will have the chance to be successful in wrapping up this unit.

With twenty minutes remaining in class, I took out Scattagories for the first time this year. While this wasn't in my plan book, sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great Monday for those kids- fun, support from their teacher. Flexibility and that's what they will remember.
    Good one,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The students always remind us that it is more important to meet their needs rather than follow our lesson plans:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids will remember you for this. Good teaching cannot all be learned from a text book, it is instinctual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teachers know when to stop and regroup! You did the right thing. I hope we never get so caught up in the politics of education that we miss the human element.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, so true. My friend just told me about pulling out a movie when it became apparent that nothing was going to go the way it was planned (she teaches 3rd). Another teacher had gotten sick, so she had 6 extra students piled in to her class and they had nothing to do, and their presence was disruptive and it was just one of those days where you shift gears and go the other direction.

    Great post.
    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment