
This morning Tyler left to meet up with his co-workers Bob and Trevor to take the ice shanty off of Lake Memphremagog. Upon arriving, however, he discovered that it was gone.
You may remember that just this Tuesday Tyler and I pulled the shanty over to the cove near the access ramp so that it would be easier to remove today. There were several other shacks there waiting to be removed, and we'd never heard of a shanty being stolen, so we felt confident that it would still be there.
Upon further investigation Tyler learned that our old landlord, Tom, had seen the shanty as recently as yesterday afternoon when he was walking the dog and saw that it was still there. Another fisherman said that he saw a group of men removing a shanty - similar in description and location to ours - just last night at dusk.
We've filed a police report and contacted Border Patrol (the access is near where we used to live on the Canadian border which is actively patrolled by them) and the local Game Warden. We are debating putting ads in the Chronicle and Newport Daily to see if anyone has seen or heard anything.
It's been a sad afternoon. Tyler invested about $400 into materials for the construction of the shanty and had at least another $400 in material donated to him. Besides that, Tyler spent HOURS building the ice shack. I'm sure we'll never see it again, and it is unnerving to think that there are people in our town who would even do such a thing.
Ice fishing sounds very exciting. I'm sorry someone stole your shanty. Let's hope a miracle occurs and you get it back.
ReplyDeleteI just heard Wes's side of the conversation this afternoon when Tyler called looking for info from Joanie about Peanut. Hope Tyler is able to find something out. That is just maddening.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for you guys. Seriously, what is WRONG with people? I agree, it's maddening and unnerving that someone would just blatently STEAL something of such value. That's just too bad.
ReplyDeleteSo very sorry for Tyler. I know he must be heartsick as he worked so hard on it. I hope the police can find it for him.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a bummer but more importantly just ruins your day when something happens at the hands of another human. I HATE it when people take your stuff. It leaves me feeling evil. Poor Ty. At least he was an Honorable Bronze Medalist in the Vermont Olympics. Sniff.
ReplyDelete