You don't watch tv?

Yesterday my kids completed a quick assignment on ways to get over writer's block. In the assignment they had to write about their favorite tv show. As my students discussed their writing afterward, I realized that I didn't know a single show mentioned. I calculated how long it had been since I'd watched tv - not movies, which I watch periodically, but tv: a year and a half. I resolved right then and there to watch more tv... starting tonight.

I DVR'd the season premier of "Parenthood" last night so I started my viewing with that. Not very good. Next, I watched a silly show called "Community." Dumb. I don't even know what it was about. I watched a 30 minute show called "Parks and Recreation" starring Amy Poehler. I love her and thought the show was stupid-funny, but I'm sure I won't watching it again. Now I'm on to "The Office." I've watched it a few times and I do think it's funny, but I have a history of watching only shows that I have seen from the beginning.

I'm happy to have done something different tonight; however, I've realized that I haven't really missed anything by not watching tv. It's all pretty bad.

Comments

  1. Your last line is very true. What made you stop watching tv?
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just cancelled our TV service. I hadn't been watching it a whole lot for a while, so when my husband said he wanted to cancel I didn't protest it at all. Although from time to time there is something that sounds good, I don't miss how much time I could waste watching TV. I still like curling up with my girls to watch movies though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say that I love your blog header - what a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only shows I look forward to seeing are the Amazing Race and Lost! I agree that a lot of it is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Office, but don't get to watch it very often- I didn't watch the pilot of Parenthod b/c 10:00 is too late for me- but I was hoping it would be good, and am sorry to hear that it stunk. There really is nothing good on TV these days, especially if (Like me)you don;t acre for "Reality TV." I never know anything about the shows the kids talk about!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I taught, my sixth graders were always amazed that I didn't watch Tv. I always told them that when I retired I would get cable so I could watch the History Channel and Biography. Well, I did retire and I did get cable. However, the History channel and Biography are not what I thought they would be. I enjoy Masterpiece Classic on PBS and other PBS TV, but mostly we watch movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've obviously hit a nerve with this one--many of us have given up on TV. Some of it is that there are lots of stupid shows out there and we don't want to waste our time and the other is that we've accumulated other interests, and TV doesn't factor in. I don't think the current TV line-up is any dumber or smarter than other years (Gilligan's Island anyone?), but that we have other options for entertainment. Watching a movie at home just wasn't a possibility in the glory days of TV.

    Lovely header on your blog, by the way. I"m jealous of where you live!

    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment