| I have become addicted to reading Letters to the Editor in any and all Northeast Kingdom newspapers... check out this one from the Newport Daily Express: Thursday, 15 April 2010 | |
| Dear Editor: I am a large, fat really, old lady who lives at the top of Searles Road where the wind blows mightily. It was especially cold up there as well as windy on Thursday, March 25, in the afternoon. Because of my age and a tendency to wobble, I am not supposed to leave the house unless someone is around to save me should I fall. On the aforesaid Thursday, no one home but me, I ventured across the road to fetch the mail. No danger, what could happen? I returned to the house and the porch door was shut tight (the wind). My hands were so cold by then (no gloves, just going across the street) I could not grip the door handle. What to do? Flag someone down on Searles Road to help me? So there I was, purple jacket, arms flailing around. Several trucks went sailing by on the Searles Speedway. No luck. Finally, from the other direction, came a truck that stopped. A very pleasant, attractive lady left her truck, opened my door, and checked to see if I was OK. I was half frozen (not really, but very cold). I asked her name, but in my frantic, chilly state, I did not remember it. Would that kind person stop by the house for proper thanks and a cup of tea? Sincerely and thankfully, Pam Crandall Newport Center |
Comments
Gotta LOVE Vermonters! Ed changed some guy's tire in the parking lot of the Hairy Bear last night while Elijah was getting a hair cut...
ReplyDeleteThis letter is just very funny!
Were you the attractive lady who stopped to help? I'm sure you would have! Catching up on your blogs. Can't wait to read your Stephen King novel someday! Love hearing about Fred wallowing in the manure. Does he think that he is Wilbur the pig??
ReplyDeleteOne time when I was little, somewhere, I don't even know where, except I was eating a lot of apples, I remember, Dad ended up under some lady's car for over an hour. I just remember eating apples and looking at his feet under the woman's car! I agree, the Chronicle's Letters and "classifieds" are some of my favorite things to read.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Martha - that was really nice of you to stop and help Mrs. Crandall. Let us know how your tea goes. ha, ha.
ReplyDelete