Becoming a Farmer

Thursday:
I went to the doctor and had an x-ray done on my right foot. The doctor thinks that my pain is the result of a stress fracture... on Friday the results came back negative, so next week I go in for a bone scan. In the meantime, I cannot run. I am pretty upset about this as the half-marathon is May 30; a delay due to injury means I might be out of the race. If it is a stress fracture I could be down for weeks and will have to start my training all over again! Argh.

Yesterday:
Tyler is mentoring one of my 7th grade boys; yesterday we had our first outing - we hiked the Mad Brook Trail up to the fire tower on Bald Mountain. It took about 2 hours to get to the top... we had to hike through snow for the last 500 feet or so! When we got to the top we had a snack and climbed the tower. I only made it to the second level because the wind was so strong. Fred tried to climb up while we weren't looking - he made it up the first flight of stairs before I caught him and carried him down. All four of us had a great time and I know Callen was excited to hang out with another "Dude" for a few hours.

Today:
We woke up with plans to get our garden going today. Tyler tried to rototill our plot, but he just couldn't cut through the sod. I went for a walk around the property to check things out - we have some sort of flowers/plants growing but I have no clue what anything is (except the tulips). I pulled some weeds (I think they were weeds!) and found an old trash pile. I started digging around in it and found all kinds of fun stuff: glass bottles, cans, an old milk jug.

Tyler decided we needed to rent some heavier equipment, but nothing was available... as we were driving to the hot dog stand for lunch he spotted our neighbor with exactly the tractor we needed - so Ty offered to pay the man to dig up our garden! Long story short, he is going to be here tomorrow! We staked out about a 60X40 plot for our main garden - pretty large.

We bought four raspberry plants on our hot dog run and got those in the dirt. Tyler also dug up the plot for our herb garden. We spent part of the day discussing what else we need to build: a compost bin, a clothes line, a dog run and a chicken coup. Later in the day we also got our tomato and pepper seeds started. We will get our winter squash, pumpkin and broccoli started tomorrow after another trip to Ag-way.

It was a really productive day - I can't wait to see what our garden looks like once the dirt is turned up tomorrow!


Small herb garden is cleared - the stakes mark what will be dug up tomorrow.




Our four raspberry plants.




View from behind raspberries looking at garden... I didn't realize how much land we had until Tyler mowed it yesterday!


Apple trees are getting ready to bloom...




We eat a lot of yogurt!

Comments

  1. Sounds like a lot of great plans. I am envious as usual of all that outdoor space! I laughed at the yogurt. You think Americans eat a lot of yogurt, you should see the French. Interesting the portions are MUCH smaller. Half the size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And also meant to say so sorry about your foot, I hope all that hard work for the marathon won't be for naught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your foot. Hope it heals quickly.

    Sounds like you guys have been busy! If you want more raspberries, feel free to come dig some up from here. In a month or so there will be tons of shoots popping up, just begging to be transplanted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment