Saturday morning

Tyler went to Burlington yesterday for a 2-day track meet, so Fred and I had the house to ourselves last night. We stayed up way too late doing wedding stuff on the internet which led to a sleepy morning today. It doesn't help either that the sky is a nasty shade of gray, it's cold, and it's supposed to rain all day. In a couple hours I too am headed to Burlington with one of the assistant coaches, Annah, to watch Tyler run the Master's Mile. After his race I'll take Fred back to Susie's house to hang out until the meet is over. As you all know, tomorrow is Mother's Day (Happy Mother's Day Mommy - I love you!) and it is also Matt's 23rd birthday so we are going to celebrate with both of them. My mom is celebrating Mother's Day by taking care of a sick horse - poor mom and Tilly. I am hopeful that Tilly recuperates quickly...

This week was the most difficult week for me yet in Vermont. On Tuesday morning I received a call announcing that I was to be at the orthopedist's office in a couple hours - I had no one to cover my last two classes, no sub plans ready. I made a mad-dash through the school until I could get everything straightened away, but then I remembered, I had a district training on Wednesday morning and had to get sub plans ready for that too! I only ended up being 15 minutes late to my appointment.

At the orthopedist's office I was told that I have not one but two stress fractures in my right foot. The doctor wants me to wear a boot and to use crutches for two weeks, then I'll be reevaluated to see what I'll need to do next. (Could be more boot-wearing, physical therapy, etc.)  The boot isn't so bad - driving is difficult, but that's about it. The crutches on the other hand are a nightmare. If you think about it, you walk because you need to carry something from one place to another. As a teacher you need to make copies, carry books, monitor the classroom... none of this can be done properly on crutches. So I am using them the best that I can and trying not to put much weight on my foot when I walk without them. I am praying that things look better on May 18. In addition to the daily-life trouble caused from the injury (and the cost - woah - so glad I have insurance!) I also haven't been able to run in almost three weeks now. I hadn't realized it but running made me a much calmer person these past two months, especially at school where things are stressful. Not running has created a stressed-out teacher with no patience left (see "Spring Fever" paragraph below to get an idea why having some patience might be a good thing right now).

On my way to work yesterday a moose ran in front of my car. I saw it coming from a field near our house so I had time to stop, but I actually thought it was a horse at first because it was running so fast! They must be really stupid animals too because he acted as if he was trying to hit my car.  Hitting the breaks with my boot was a pain, but it worked.  That was actually the best part of my workday this week.

Spring fever has hit my middle school kids bad. They are not only ready for school to be out but their hormones have taken over their brains. It's especially bad in my 8th grade class where I have two students dating. I think if given the opportunity they would full-on make out in class. Ugh... it grosses me out. Everything we read or discuss in class is somehow turned into something crude. I have even been re-evaluating what I wear to school each day to make sure every inch of skin is covered - I'd be better off in a Burka. Seriously. What I honestly need are shock-collars for almost all of the boys - that would definitely take care of the problem. So keep your fingers crossed that I can survive the next 6 weeks (and a 3-day overnight trip to Boston!) with these kids!

In Emma-Roo news, Katie took her to the doctor for her 9 month appointment this week. She is 21lbs1oz (80%), 30.5inches tall (97%), and her head is 46cm (92%) - she is going to be one tall girl! I love this picture that Katie took of her - she is such a happy baby!

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear that your fractures are worse than first thought. Hope they heal well. The boot must be so glamorous. ha ha. Do you think you could padal a bike? Maybe a spinning class would get you through until you can run again.

    As for your students, I think you and Sandy need to form a teacher support group.

    Emma is a bundle of cuteness.

    Don't forget, if you and Tyler want some raspberries, come dig some up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your foot heals soon as well! I can relate to the student-couples annoyance. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter the season here, and culturally, it's supposedly okay (though in my classroom, it isn't) to just let teens cuddle and make out here. In two years, this hasn't ceased to blow my mind. I have 2 kid-couples in two different classes I teach and they actually have the nerve to get annoyed when I don't let them sit together. Anyways, have fun on your overnight trip.... I am counting down with you. Perhaps we'll see you up north sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment