Slice of Life

Tonight's graduation was over in just thirty minutes. I felt nervous for all my little babies who were taking the ceremony so seriously. I felt especially nervous for our class valedictorian who was a very special student to me- she was/is one of the hardest working kids I've ever taught. Her speech was perfect. She reflected on the past and wished her peers happiness and success in their futures. I know her parents were very proud - not just because she made straight A's, but also because she is hardworking, helpful and kind.

We doled out all kinds of awards (our school has a weird tradition of giving students money with each award???) for various accomplishments. The parents clapped and cried and generally looked joyous. I don't remember my mom being especially excited when I finished 8th grade. But, should she have been? As I looked around the room, I wondered how many of these parents think that their child will graduate high school? What about college? Is graduating 8th grade really that big of a deal?

I hope that this batch of kiddies will move on to high school and make good choices and good friends. I hope when I run into them at the grocery store or the gas station in years to come that they have glorious things to tell me about high school or college or trade school or work. I have high expectations for what they can achieve in life!

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”-Nelson Mandela

Comments

  1. Yes, graduation from 8th grade is a big deal, because high school brings so much more independence for them. I agree with you, Aimee, that I hope they make good choices.

    A student I worked very hard with in sixth grade was just listed in the newspaper for DWI at age 25. Made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new layout and the photo is priceless!

    What is up with the money giving?? Interesting...

    Still counting down here in Porto Alegre... graduation is July 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a student at MMU who insisted on always having me as his science teacher. He was so smart and performed very well in my classes, we just had some type of a connection. I'm pretty sure he earned A's and B's.

    Outside of my class, he was (still is)just a bad person. Really bad.

    He went to jail- or juvie, or whatever- and upon his return to MMU needed (among other things) another science credit to graduate. I think he made it 1 day in someone else's class before he walked out and said that if he couldn't be switched into my class, he was leaving.

    I'm pretty sure he's in prison right now, but I'll never forget him (nor will he forget me). You never know what type of an impact you might have on a student, you just do your very best and hope/pray that they turn out okay. They don't always, but all you can do is try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved teaching 8th grade. No graduation though. In our 8-12 high school, 8th graders began high school surrounded by the future. I loved having them with us and loved teaching them as fresh beings. But as I said goodbye to them I always wondered too, where were they going??
    I love your big photo too!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment