Leaf Peepers Race

This past Friday night we drove to Richmond and were only detoured around two flooded bridges! There was so much rain here Thursday and Friday that the rivers flooded all around the state. On Saturday morning, I discovered an awesome hair dresser on Church Street in Burlington. I will no longer have to have my hair butchered in the Kingdom, nor drive to Boston for a trim. I am so super excited about this discovery! We ran a few pretty uneventful errands the remainder of the day - however, Tyler bought a bunch of home brewing equipment to make hard cider... should be an adventure!

Today was the big event of the weekend - the Leaf Peepers Half Marathon in Waterbury. Several months ago I signed up to run the race with Susie as my coach, but after the strain on my knees from our honeymoon hiking I have not yet been able to run. So Fred, Elijah and I hung out and watched the other racers go by. We had a blast, too...


Playing in the leaves...

The first runner to come in was Ed in the 5k. Elijah cheered him on as he picked up speed and sprinted to     the finish. I think his time was something like 26 minutes. FAST! Ed and Elijah then went for a walk down the course to cheer on the other runners, while I stayed in front of the speakers near the finish line getting my eardrums blasted. Bad idea... Soon, the Half Marathon runners were coming in... Tyler ran something like 1:22 and ended up coming in 3rd in his age group. WooHoo Tyler! We didn't think he won anything so we left to go eat and get home... thanks goodness his mom stayed and got his amazing prize package! Susie was the next runner in with a time of 1:4something..... She ended up being 4th in her age group. Next up was Sandy and her Triple Threat friends who did an awesome job - beating their times from last year. They won the Best Dressed award for personalized, matching pink running shirts! Very cute... Here are some pics of the runners (Ed was so fast I missed him!):

The Cheerleaders



Even though Sandy was wearing number 21, she was drinking water in that bottle!

Nice job everyone! Maybe one of these days I'll actually stay injury-free long enough to run... In two weeks, Tyler runs his first marathon in an attempt to qualify for Boston next year. I'm thrilled for him to have this experience and to hopefully run with Matt and Susie in April 2011!

Comments

  1. Congratulations to all the runners and thank you to the spectators for cheering them on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell what Elijah is thinking:
    "Aimee, I don't need no stinkin' hair dresser. In my house, my dad just grabs a bowl and some pruning shears."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great race and 2 great haircuts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred should win a medal for being a good spectator at this race, and Echo Lake. He gets around, but Chris said he has no choice, it's come with Aimee, or be left alone with the chickens!! Hope you will be able to run at next year's race, Aimee! Congrats to Tyler, Susie, Edwin,and Sandy!! Elijah will be a pro at races, when he is old enough to run!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment