Another season as a weekend widow...

Today marked the first day of rifle season which means the first day as "hunting widow" for me. I don't mind though; actually I relish the time to laze around in pajamas reading, eating all things cheese and butter, and cuddling up with Fred. Today I started the season with a road trip to Burlington for a hair cut.

Some of you may remember that I have tried SEVERAL hairdressers trying to find a stylist who can perfectly cut my inverted bob - and take into account my thin, but thick hair and weird cow-lick. Well, I found perfection in Boston this summer but I can't bring myself to drive four hours just for a hair cut. About six weeks ago I discovered a guy at Stephen and Burns in Burlington. He did a great job and I figured I could always run additional errands while in town. So today I went back for a cut at 11AM only to discover that he quit. Yesterday. I had a momentary freak out - I had just driven two hours for this - before the owner, Stephen, came over and said it would be fine because he would cut my hair. Yay! In the end I got an awesome cut for my regular $45 price instead of Stephens $110 price. He recommended a girl in my price range for the next cut - fingers crossed.

Because I hadn't checked the time of my appointment before leaving Derby, I actually arrived in town an hour early. This turned out perfect because I spent some time at Borders getting "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (better late then never...) and then venturing over to City Market - my favorite grocery store ever. I picked up some fresh butternut squash and pumpkin ravioli and couldn't wait to have it for dinner tonight. I cooked it in boiling water for 3 minutes, sprinkled some cinnamon on top,  and then baked it for five minutes on 350. I topped it off with some browned butter - something that would have made Tyler gag - and devoured it. Thank goodness there are leftovers for lunch (and dinner?) tomorrow... I only wish I'd have bought more to freeze for another day - perhaps next weekend? :)

On any trip to Church Street it is of utmost importance to buy chocolate from Lake Champlain Chocolates. I was on their website the other day looking for 70% dark chocolate (the kind you should eat every day!) and found these cute-as-can-be place-setting turkeys. I bought dark chocolate turkeys for my family and got another dozen milk chocolate for a co-worker - 24 in all. Now I just need to figure out how to get them home to Florida...
For those of you looking for something to do next weekend, my kids (which means me, really) are hosting a Craft Fair at school to benefit the trip to Boston this year. It's from 10-3 on Saturday (November 20) in the Brighton school gym... we have about 17 vendors and will be selling all kids of good stuff for lunch. You can get some Christmas shopping done early and support local businesses!

Comments

  1. Amy, Lake Champlain Chocolates has a much closer location to you at their Annex on the Stowe road near Waterbury - ask Paul, it's close to where he lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment