How to Protect Non-Stick Pots and Pans

Since I have at least one nonstick pan that I've ruined, when I found this article in the NY Times today I thought I'd share it to help others. The main point on pans is that before you ever use them you should season them by rubbing on a little oil with a paper towel. Each time you use them you should rub about a teaspoon of oil or butter on the pan first. Do not use cooking spray in your pans, as that ruins the finish and makes them sticky. Also, you should store your pans with a paper towel layer in between them (if nested) to keep them from scratching.  The article says that a well-taken-care-of nonstick pan should last about five years before needing to be replaced.  My ruined pan is about 8 years old so I guess I shouldn't feel bad when I get a replacement!

In other news, it's been a busy week here in Vermont. We have to work four full days, which is exhausting in itself! Of my 30 students about half of them are acting like monkeys and the other half are having a hard time staying awake. (Guess which half I am having a better time with?) We finished our Christmas shopping and shipping on Monday after work and finished wrapping gifts last night. Tonight I'll go grocery shopping for dinner on Christmas Eve with Ed, Sandy and Elijah. (And at some point we'd like to clean the house, too!) Friday really can't get here soon enough; we are looking forward to our vacation: reading, sleeping in (Tyler's been getting up before 5AM to grade or bake or clean every morning), maybe snow shoeing or cross country skiing. Whatever we do it will be fun and not involve school!

If I don't write again before Christmas I hope you all have a wonderful time with your family and friends!
Merry Christmas!
My friend Rebecca captured this "Sandman" on her vacation to the Cayman Islands last week!

Comments

  1. Merry Christmas Aimee and Tyler!

    Enjoy your vacation and Christmas Eve with Ed, Sandy, and Elijah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I protect nonstick pans is to not let Wes cook with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment