So maybe I wouldn't have been actually killed this morning, just slightly maimed, but this is not how I intended my Valentine's Day to begin:
I was actually on time for work this morning when the garage door refused to close. I did all that I could to manually pull it shut to no avail. Only delayed a few minutes, I got back on the road to work. At 7ish I was approaching the corner of Derby Pond Road and Rt. 111 when all of a sudden a car turned the corner way too fast and started sliding towards me, stopping only inches (perhaps only an inch?) away from my car. To avoid being t-boned I drove my car into a snow bank. I had enough time to look at the driver and passenger (a high school boy and girl) before they put their car in reverse and sped off! Can you believe it? They just sped away! I didn't know what to do because I was experiencing shock and disbelief at the same time and just couldn't think straight.
My Knight-in-Shining-Carhartt's arrived moments later as I was calling Tyler. (I will find out his identity at some point and reward him generously, but for now all I know is that his name is Brian, he is a senior at the high school, he drives a green Jeep, and may play hockey.) Without bothering to ask if I even needed help (maybe it was obvious?) he got out of his car and instructed me to put it in drive while he pushed. That wasn't working - I was very stuck in the snow bank - so he told me to hang tight while he pulled his Jeep around behind mine. Very matter of factly he got out his chains and within minutes had me unstuck. My hero! I just had time to get his first name before other cars needed to get by... but I owe him big time.
Besides my crazy morning I had a good day. We took the 8th graders to visit the high school which is always fun; the kids get so excited to see people they know, but they also can act really shy and embarrassed, especially if a cute boy or girl ends up being their tour guide. When I got home there was a package waiting for me in the driveway - a Pajama Gram! As I have been spending quite a bit of time in bed lately it seems Tyler thought I could use a couple new pairs of cozy cotton pajamas! I think this is the best Valentine's Day gift ever!
View Larger Map
I was actually on time for work this morning when the garage door refused to close. I did all that I could to manually pull it shut to no avail. Only delayed a few minutes, I got back on the road to work. At 7ish I was approaching the corner of Derby Pond Road and Rt. 111 when all of a sudden a car turned the corner way too fast and started sliding towards me, stopping only inches (perhaps only an inch?) away from my car. To avoid being t-boned I drove my car into a snow bank. I had enough time to look at the driver and passenger (a high school boy and girl) before they put their car in reverse and sped off! Can you believe it? They just sped away! I didn't know what to do because I was experiencing shock and disbelief at the same time and just couldn't think straight.
My Knight-in-Shining-Carhartt's arrived moments later as I was calling Tyler. (I will find out his identity at some point and reward him generously, but for now all I know is that his name is Brian, he is a senior at the high school, he drives a green Jeep, and may play hockey.) Without bothering to ask if I even needed help (maybe it was obvious?) he got out of his car and instructed me to put it in drive while he pushed. That wasn't working - I was very stuck in the snow bank - so he told me to hang tight while he pulled his Jeep around behind mine. Very matter of factly he got out his chains and within minutes had me unstuck. My hero! I just had time to get his first name before other cars needed to get by... but I owe him big time.
Besides my crazy morning I had a good day. We took the 8th graders to visit the high school which is always fun; the kids get so excited to see people they know, but they also can act really shy and embarrassed, especially if a cute boy or girl ends up being their tour guide. When I got home there was a package waiting for me in the driveway - a Pajama Gram! As I have been spending quite a bit of time in bed lately it seems Tyler thought I could use a couple new pairs of cozy cotton pajamas! I think this is the best Valentine's Day gift ever!
View Larger Map
I am so thankful that you are alright, Aimee!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wild Valentine's Day!
You can maybe have some posted in the Newport Daily Express or the Chronicle re: the people who drove you off the road.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, welcome to Vermont. Getting hauled out of a snowbank by a stranger. We've all been there for sure! Get Martha to tell you about the guy who changed her tire once, and Joanie the person who helped her on the interstate - who I think was related to us somehow.
One time when I was 17, going to work to clean rooms at the Essex Motor Inn where Mary and Wesley lived. I was driving on slippery roads, (but straight and flat) my Dad's old Ford Zephyr, and it did a 180 in the middle of the road (blacktop). There were no other cars around or there would have been a huge accident. The car came to a stop in the other lane, pointed in the opposite direction, like nothing had happenned. I was so freaked out, I just kept driving a few miles the wrong way, like to go back home! I was late for work, and when I told Mary, she just shook her head.
Aimee, that sounds like a rubber legs story!!Julie is referring to an incident years ago:A very kind man helped change my flat tire in the freezing cold in December, in the dark, with little Addy in the car,with the bolts all frozen tight.Finally, managed to replace the tire, thanked him, and he was about to drive away, when he realized that my battery had died, as we left the headlights on, so that we could see what we were doing! He turned around and jump started my car. I got his last name, but that was it. He left his jack bar, so I wanted to return it. I looked up everyone in the area with his last name, but no luck. I also thought, perhaps it was my guardian angel. Hey, you never know! Good luck finding yours!!
ReplyDelete