A "For Real" Snow Day!

Some of you might remember a day not too long ago when school was canceled just because it was cold. Now I was okay with this because it was really, really, really cold and the idea of putting students outside to wait for a bus - or worse, the potential of having our old buses break down - was just too risky. But today was not just a cold day, today was the snowiest day I have ever seen.

It started yesterday afternoon when our rain turned to sleet and then snow within an hour or so. This is when I chose to go grocery shopping so I had the pleasure of driving in the slop. By the time I cam home it was all snow and the ground had frozen. I love NEK Weather and checked their website as soon as I unloaded the groceries - that's when I first understood just how much snow we would be getting. Their snow accumulation map showed 17+ inches for my house, 19+ for my school. Snow day!

I was not surprised when I got the cancellation call, and I was grateful since I had procrastinated grading based on the weather (never a good thing since the weather can be so fickle). The snow continued to fall at a rate of 1-2 inches per hour overnight, and at times I couldn't even see the end of our deck from the bedroom window because it was coming down so hard.

This morning I awoke to more than just a winter wonderland! Tyler got out the John Deere snow blower to attempt clearing the driveway but he didn't make a dent. We called our old plow guy but he said his truck wasn't working in his own driveway, so he suggested we call his brother - our neighbor and the guy we bought our house from - to come over with his tractor. Ryan's arrival on that tractor was the highlight of the day! It took about 20 minutes but the job was done - for a while. Tyler has spent the last hour or so back outside on our snow blower cleaning it up again because the snow has continued to fall. I hope it tapers off now so that he doesn't have to do this again in the morning.
The tractor arrives to save the day!
Snow waist-high on our deck
About 2 feet piled up against our windows and doors in the LR
Snow birds!

Comments

  1. Wow! Now that's a lot of snow! Great piece of writing and I love the accompanying photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you included the photos! I am a snow-watching junkie and am a little jealous that I didn't see this. On the other hand, I'm really ready for spring now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! Loved the pictures and your narration, but I have to admit, snow after February is not my favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Too much snow for me. The pics are awesome. Liked the line "more than just a winter wonderland." :)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete
  5. A real snow day for sure! I was picturing the scene as I read and then the photo surprises at the end. Snow scenes make for gorgeous photos, but I am visualizing spring now! ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a winter gift for teachers, isn't it? I'm glad you were plowed out, however. The pictures were delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone is talking about this monster storm. What an experience for you.

    Nothing down here but rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe we got out on the eve of this storm. Heaven was watching our flight!
    Sorry we didn't connect with you & Ty - I knew you were under the weather/busy.....I left a Bumblebee halloween costume for your baby-to-be with Joanie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment