Happy first day of spring and happy 31st birthday to my baby brother Eric! It is a beautiful day here today with blinding sunshine and temps in the 30s. The chickens are playing outside and Fred got so excited to run in the yard (now frozen solid snow) that he tried to run all the way down the street! I had to chase after him in my pajamas and bathrobe, and of course, he ran right up to two neighbors out for a walk - embarrassing!
Last night we had Tom and Donna over for dinner and I decided to celebrate the "Super Moon" and the last day of winter with a southern meal. First I made homemade carrot cake cupcakes for the first time ever with real cream cheese frosting. Then I made homemade coleslaw dressing without mayo (I bought the already shredded bagged cabbage). Next I prepped the sweet potato fries (I add cayenne pepper to this recipe) which I like to bake. Finally, I got the pulled pork going in the crock pot - it smelled like heaven in here! (I also had REAL southern BBQ sauce straight from Decatur, Alabama - it is so good you should order some and try it!) I am so happy that we have leftovers for lunch today.
In pregnancy news I had my 13 week appointment on Friday and was able to listen to the baby's heartbeat... it was really neat! My midwife also taught me how to use my own fetal heart rate monitor so that I can listen at home - and I was able to try it today with success. This week I plan to call child care providers to see if anyone has availability for next January and to get Ty and I registered for infant CPR/first aid and childbirth classes. It should be a busy week culminating in the local History Day competition on Thursday and a weekend of sugaring in Richmond.
Last night we had Tom and Donna over for dinner and I decided to celebrate the "Super Moon" and the last day of winter with a southern meal. First I made homemade carrot cake cupcakes for the first time ever with real cream cheese frosting. Then I made homemade coleslaw dressing without mayo (I bought the already shredded bagged cabbage). Next I prepped the sweet potato fries (I add cayenne pepper to this recipe) which I like to bake. Finally, I got the pulled pork going in the crock pot - it smelled like heaven in here! (I also had REAL southern BBQ sauce straight from Decatur, Alabama - it is so good you should order some and try it!) I am so happy that we have leftovers for lunch today.
In pregnancy news I had my 13 week appointment on Friday and was able to listen to the baby's heartbeat... it was really neat! My midwife also taught me how to use my own fetal heart rate monitor so that I can listen at home - and I was able to try it today with success. This week I plan to call child care providers to see if anyone has availability for next January and to get Ty and I registered for infant CPR/first aid and childbirth classes. It should be a busy week culminating in the local History Day competition on Thursday and a weekend of sugaring in Richmond.
Congratulations on the coming baby--a very special thing. It sounds like you are making lists & checking them off one by one by one. I loved the meal description & the recipes. Yum. And I liked that you connected past home with the new one. Your place must be beautiful (with chickens, too) & yet those connections to the past places remain.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you were able to hear the baby's heartbeat. It's a beautiful sound. Dinner sounded delicious. Happy day. MaryHelen
ReplyDelete