I love (snail)mail!

I always get excited as I approach my house on the way home from work, but not because I am coming home. No, it's because I get to check the mail. In the winter I slide gently downhill on the ice or snow in front of the mailbox until I stop, check to make sure that another car isn't coming up behind me, swing the door open and run to the box. Once there, I open the door quickly, snatch the mail in all its goodness and jump back into the car. Sometimes I allow myself a peek at what has arrived, but on most days I like to savor the surprise until I get into the house and take off my coat.

In general, my mail is not that exciting. I love getting my magazines; I always put those to the side for later. Junk mail is immediately tossed into the recycle bin. Bills, well, are bills and not so much fun. The best part is getting a real letter or card, which we have been getting a few of recently because of our pregnancy announcement. I have a good friend, Rebecca, who sends the best cards. There is always some sort of sticker on the back of the envelope, and often you can find a personalized stamp on the front. The cards are sometimes cute, sometimes funny, and always thoughtful. My Grandma Alice also sends great cards with handwritten notes that I cherish. All of these cards and letters go into a special keepsake box and occasionally I pull them out to read.

Tyler asked the other day what future historians will do with all of the information contained in blogs. I told him I thought they would do nothing - it's too much information to sort through. They will continue using the handwritten letters and cards sent in the mail.

Comments

  1. First of all...congratulations! I love letters, too - snail mail is all the more special because it's become such a rarity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting snail mail too! Magazines are a great plus too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the exact way when it comes to getting home. I love checking the mail and getting something in it - especially when I wasn't expecting anything. It's like Christmas, but everyday. I get disappointed when my husband says there wasn't any mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mail is one of the joys in my life. I love it when our school secretary is swamped and I can help her out by sorting the mail for the staff. Can't explain why.... maybe I was a mail carrier in a past life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love snail mail! And, I love sending it, simply because I know I can so easily bring some cheer to a friend's day. I have sent cards that took me ten seconds to simply write, "Missing you" on them and it still brought joy! And, when I send it to the right people, sometimes I they reply! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would think future historians will love blogs if they have access to them and if they can search them by using key words.

    Just my thoughts!

    Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment