I hurry to finish my lunch while the kids get settled into their places around the room. The lights are out and it only takes a few moments before the students transform from a group of jumpy hormonal teenagers to silent humans dedicated to reading. Ahhhh... my favorite part of the day. Watching these eighth graders spread about the room with feet propped up on desks completely relaxed and engaged in their books creates a warm smile in my heart. I know that for most of them, this time is precious; it may be the only silence they can enjoy all day. When they get home they have chores, sports and homework to attend to and loud parents and siblings to deal with and will probably not have time to sit back and relax with a good book. After 25 minutes I must call "time," although it pains me daily to do so. The kids will moan and groan and beg for more time to read; some will share the best parts of their book with their neighbors or with me. Our silence is broken, but thankfully we have tomorrow.
I hurry to finish my lunch while the kids get settled into their places around the room. The lights are out and it only takes a few moments before the students transform from a group of jumpy hormonal teenagers to silent humans dedicated to reading. Ahhhh... my favorite part of the day. Watching these eighth graders spread about the room with feet propped up on desks completely relaxed and engaged in their books creates a warm smile in my heart. I know that for most of them, this time is precious; it may be the only silence they can enjoy all day. When they get home they have chores, sports and homework to attend to and loud parents and siblings to deal with and will probably not have time to sit back and relax with a good book. After 25 minutes I must call "time," although it pains me daily to do so. The kids will moan and groan and beg for more time to read; some will share the best parts of their book with their neighbors or with me. Our silence is broken, but thankfully we have tomorrow.
Comments

That 25 minute block is so precious - they are lucky to have a teacher who recognizes this!
ReplyDeleteI love when students beg me for free reading time! I always count it as time well spent.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful description of reading time! I love those moments in my classroom, too, with 6th and 7th graders.
ReplyDeleteYour post made me want to be there with my current book.
ReplyDelete