The Brat Pack

I love every single 1980s-era John Hughes' movie. Today I was reminded of one at work. I was sitting at my desk trying to grade when a random work acquaintance walked in and disrupted me (this is becoming more and more of a pet peeve). She didn't really want anything, but was just trying to pass the time until 3:30 came and she could catch her ride home. After some awkward silence (mostly because I was trying to let her know that I was busy) she asked, "So, why don't you stand up and show me your belly!" WHAT?! Really? I am grading papers and preparing to tutor students and you want me to show you my belly? What does one say to a question of that nature? On my way home I wished I'd said, "Only if you show me yours first!" or something else witty - but alas, I was not that fast. I also felt weird just saying "no" to her request, so I laughed, patted my belly, and tried to change the subject. It totally reminded me of this scene from Sixteen Candles:
Grandma Helen: Oh Sam, let me take a look at you. [holds Samantha's arms out] Oh look Fred, she's gotten her boobies.
Grandpa Fred: I better get my magnifying glass. Ha Ha Ha. [Samantha grimaces]
Grandma Helen: Oh, and they are so PERKY. [Helen reaches to cup Samantha's breasts]
[Samantha hurries out of the room]
Samantha: I can't believe my grandmother actually felt me up.
When I got home today I started thinking about all of the great Brat Pack films and how sad it is that Tyler has never seen any of them.  For the past three years I have been subjected to all of the Academy Award winning films from the beginning of time to the 1960s, but Tyler has yet to watch one of these with me. I think I'll be able to tempt him over spring break with one of these little clips:


Pretty in Pink movie trailer


Weird Science trailer


Long Duck Dong drunk - from Sixteen Candles

Comments

Post a Comment