Fried stuff...

First of all, happy Mother's Day to all of you mommies! I hope your day was as enjoyable as mine! Tyler and I are excited that today marked the halfway point of my pregnancy!

This weekend I was in the mood for fried food, something we never eat. I pulled out the Fry Daddy that my Grandpa gave me years ago and loaded it up with oil. The first recipe I came across was for corn dogs. (I think stumbling upon this recipe is what created the urge for fried food in the first place!) I love any kind of corn dog, and these were no exception. It was difficult getting the batter on the dog, but once I did it was fried heaven on a stick! Saturday I also made mini-quiches with bacon, red pepper and scallions. These will be awesome to have on hand for breakfast throughout the week, as they can be easily frozen and re-heated in the oven before putting them in my pocket on a plate and heading out to work.

On Sunday the Fried Food Festival continued. While searching my dear friend Allrecipes.com for the quiche recipe I found fried shrimp, and what goes well with that? Hush puppies... (For those who don't know - a hush puppy is essentially a deep-fried corn muffin.) Tyler wasn't too keen on the shrimp, and we had a raw chicken breast left over from Friday night, so I battered him up some chicken tenders to throw in the fryer. Although the battering process was a bit messy, everything cooked up super fast and all was delicious. Baby A doesn't seem to mind too much that I just gobbled down a load of fried food, so s/he must be a Southerner after all!

And what does one do with sticky fingers? Take pictures of course...
Battering up the dogs on a stick

Looks good already!

My bubbling vat of oil

Delicious!
The inside of a hush puppy

Fried chicken

Shrimp (L) and hush puppies (R)
In other news, the babies finally left the coop with a little encouragement (I threw them out) yesterday. Here are a couple pics of them exploring their new world (and not smelling up our house!):

Our friend Sky had a disaster occur early last week: her new chickens were all killed by her dog the day after building them a coop! Sky is one of the original chicken ladies who ordered her chicks with me. Nicole (the other chicken lady) and I have both agreed to give her a couple of ours so that she can start over, so I will be down to nine layers and one roo soon.(I think most of you probably heard that Mr. Roo was attacked by a fox this week... and survived! It was pretty intense and he does have a bald spot now, but what a tough dude!)

Hope you all have a happy week!

Comments

  1. Aimee, long ago I had a fiancé from the south and via him I discovered hush puppies. I absolutely loved them and would order them everywhere we went. so so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that fried food looks great! Those corn dogs are something else.

    Your blog reminded me of Julie's today, as she often features food!

    Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee...
    You made all that food looks just terrific!! It must be your version of pickles and ice cream!
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just catching up on all your blogs!!! Food, baby nursery, ultrasound, and you all look and sound great!!!
    Your blog is so fun to read...loved the cartoons for Tyler...too funny!
    Love,
    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment