Katie emailed me her graduation speech to share with everyone. Thanks Katie!
I was first introduced to North Country Union High School, when I learned how to ride a bike down the long hallway that stretches the length of B wing. A long hallway is an ideal place to learn how to ride a bike as it is a protected straight shot with the only danger of running into a garbage can. I’m glad they were the only obstacles I faced as I was inclined to run into everything. I’m also appreciative of the custodial staff, whom I’m sure did not appreciate having an eight year old and her equally inexperienced sister careening down the clean hallway. Learning to bike seemed like a huge undertaking, and I remember taking frequent drink breaks at the various water fountains, and reaching the sun painted at the end of the hallway was considered a major feat. So not so long ago, I learned how to ride a bike down the halls of North Country, and today I will graduate from North Country Union High School.
So what has changed for us since the days of training wheels and loose shoelaces? How has our understanding of ourselves and the world around us changed? These are the types of questions that we might ask ourselves today as graduates.
Although I believe we have a general understanding of how we each have changed, I have to admit, when faced with this question, I found it difficult to pinpoint the value of today’s ceremony, in terms of our personal growth and immediate futures. I feel it is impossible for us as graduates to define the value of today’s ceremony, as we have yet to reflect on this period in our lives. I am confused about the meaning of today’s ceremony, however it is okay for us to be confused. In this position in our lives, we have the opportunity to grow with the unclear and undetermined future still before us. This transitive period that we are in, although confusing should be welcomed as from our personal confusion and uncertainty, comes clarity and growth.
I believe, it may take a lifetime to understand the value of our graduation today, and our perceptions of graduation will evolve as we age. We have grown in so many ways beyond just our physical stature since the days of learning how to ride a bicycle, and we will continue to grow exponentially as individuals. We learn and grow from the people we meet and the experiences we share all the while attempting to discover the value of life and what it means to be alive, and hopefully the value of graduation along the way.
Great speech, Katie! I loved the riding the bike down the hallways story! Great job!
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect graduation speech. Bravo, Katie!
ReplyDeletexo Sandy
Way to go Katie!!
ReplyDelete