Big Day Today

This morning a team of people will be meeting to discuss what tests to run on Caroline to determine why she has diabetes indsipidus. After a LONG test yesterday (6 hours of blood and urine samples sent to the lab every half-hour - this test was done using the meds that were unavailable the day before) it was determined that the source of the problem is her pituitary gland (not her kidneys), but they are not sure if this is a temporary problem caused by her getting sick last Wednesday or a permanent problem which would require daily hormones to correct. They would also like to test the other hormones produced by the pituitary gland to see if this is an isolated problem or if anything else is impacted (we know her thyroid and cortisol levels are fine but I believe there are four other hormones made in the the pituitary gland).

Caroline likes to scare her Mommy by having apneic episodes whenever I am about to leave to pump or eat. Yesterday I got to hold her for about 20 minutes before the "big test" started and I told her that at 1PM I had to leave to go eat. So, at 12:59 exactly she decided to stop breathing! I think she wants me to stick around (and I would if there were room service). Caroline also got her first etiquette lesson yesterday as we wrote a few thank you cards together for gifts we received at the baby shower.

We've been spending long days at the hospital with Caroline and I call in before going to bed each night and at each pumping throughout the night. Tyler has been really strong through all of this and he does a great job of keeping it together, especially when I fall apart. I have my moments when I think about her first five days and wish I would have just taken her home then, as if none of this would have happened at home. I have been pumping every three hours to try to keep up my milk supply but it's hard when you can't actually nurse your own baby - and it stinks knowing that she is being fed fluids through an IV instead of my milk which is what nature intended. (I hope this changes soon as the NEC resolves itself.)

Tyler could not make himself go into work today for that Freshmen Leadership Academy - it was just too hard to be away when so much is going on. I truly hope Caroline rebounds quickly so that when it is finally time for him to go back to work he can do so without worrying 24 hours a day. We have never been so thankful for all of the help we are getting from family and friends. We also feel lucky to have so many people praying for Caroline to get well quickly.

Jeanne and Peter are watching my furbaby and yesterday Jeanne sent along some pictures that I thought I should share:

Our nurse Jodi took this pic of me getting to hold Caroline for a while yesterday
Friends???
Getting lots of attention at Grammie's birthday party!
Fred loves sitting in Jesse's lap

Comments

  1. I am sending you lots of prayers and good thoughts. I love the picture of you holding Caroline. I am glad you got to hold her. It looks like Fred has made a new furry friend! Thanks for posting all the updates - you have so many people thinking of you.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is power in prayer!!! We will keep on praying and sending our love your way!
    Love,
    Mary
    P.S. We enjoyed giving Fred some TLC yesterday, I know he must miss you terribly as you do him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee,I have tried many times to post messages on your blogs, but haven't had much luck, but trying again! Chris and I and family are thinking often of you, Tyler, and especially,sweet Caroline. We know that you all must be so exhausted, emotionally and physically, and we are praying often for you all,to recover, and be one, as a family. Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was talking with a friend from church yest. (she was a neonatal nurse) and she said that the little baby girls are very strong & resilient!
    You and Tyler are doing a great job right now.
    Love & Strength to you both! xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment