Yesterday was a much better day for Caroline. The docs are treating her for
necrotizing enterocolitis, even though they are not seeing much on her repeated x-rays. None of her cultures are growing anything so they are not abe to pinpoint any other type of infection. She was breathing well yesterday so it was decided to extubate her. She handled this well and only had a handful of apnea episodes as of 2AM. They also decided that because she will have to be fed through an IV for one or more weeks, she would need a
PICC line - this is a longer lasting IV line (regular IV lines must be changed very 3 days). They attempted to insert it through both her foot and her head to no avail. Caroline has stubborn veins just like her Mommy. (She also hates to have both legs tucked into her "sleeping bag" and insists on laying with one leg hanging over the side... I also sleep like this! I'll try to get a pic of her doing it today.) They will try again tomorrow with a different practitioner as she will definitely need this to prohibit getting a new IV every 3 days - a real pain. The only thing that was off yesterday was her sodium. They adjusted her fluids several times to reduce her sodium until they finally cut it out altogether. She is pee'ing a ton as well but the pediatric kidney specialist thinks that is not a problem and instead is indicative of being a preemie. She is being fed a mixture of electrolytes (at a cost of $1,000 per day!!! Thank God for insurance!) and lipids for the next week or so to clear out her gut and give it time to heal, and then they will reintroduce breast milk in very small amounts (starting with 1ml).
Some pics from yesterday:
 |
| The respiratory therapist, Gary, right before removing her breathing tube |
 |
| Hopefully the last time she will be intubated |
 |
| She's free of the breathing tube! (And you can see her little foot trying to poke out!) |
 |
| Matt and Tyler prepared a funny NH welcome for my Mom |
 |
| No, she did not sleep with the fur! |
 |
| Matt leaves the house and all hell breaks loose! Ty used dish soap in the dishwasher (don't worry, it's all good now!) |
Glad to hear she had a good day and happy your Mom is with you now. As far as Ty and the dishwasher episode goes, my mother did the same thing about 10 years ago and hasn't lived it down yet!! Get prepared for a ribbing Tyler!!!
ReplyDeleteJeanne
So glad to hear that Caroline is having a better day. After all she's been through, she still looks beautiful and strong.
ReplyDeleteAt first I thought you put a poopy diaper on your mom's bed?!? I thought, "Wow, that's a lot for such a little baby." Then I realized it was a fur thing.
Sometimes I run out of dishwasher detergent and have considered using dish liquid. Now I'm glad I haven't done it.
Sorry, I just realized I didn't sign my comment above. When I try to comment on your or Sandy's blog, Blogger doesn't "recognize" my sign in info, so I just go "anonymous."
ReplyDelete-Darlene
Hi Aimee and Tyler,
ReplyDeleteHope today Caroline continues to get stronger!! She is a little cutie, even with tubes around!!
Love to you all. How great your mom could come.
Love, Joanie and Laura