I am surprised by how at home I feel
back at Dartmouth. I have my old room at David's House (the Bunny Room) and
Caroline has all of her former primary nurses back (plus a couple new ones who
signed on as primaries today). Tonight she is playing with the lovely Nurse
Nancy who gave her her first bubble bath, bought her socks at the outlet mall,
and knitted her some socks while flying to FL last week. Caroline got a blood
transfusion last night and another one this morning - and thank goodness as she
is requiring a lot of different labwork to figure out what kind of infection
she picked up. It could be bacterial or viral and depending on lab results we
may never know. Our doctors have all said that they are sad to have us back but
happy that they can help her get better. I am doing better here than I was at
NC where I couldn't get any sleep because I felt like I had to keep my eye on
the nurses at all times. Here I can leave Caroline for a little while knowing
she will not only be in good hands but also loved by her doctors and nurses.
And how could anyone not love this little snuggle bunny:
Tyler wasn't feeling so hot the past
couple of days. He was really worn out from weekend projects at home and felt like
he was beginning to get a cold yesterday (probably didn't help that we didn't
get to sleep Sunday night). He wore the face mask just to be cautious as we
know many other teachers/students who have already gotten a back-to-school
cold. It was sad to see Tyler go home again tonight but he will be back on
Friday.
One of my NICU friends graduated and
went home yesterday. I am so happy for her and her son and am excited to visit
with them tomorrow when they come back for a follow-up appointment. Another good
friend is still here with her babies and while they are doing great they will
probably be here a little while longer so I have someone to visit with. Of
course I also have an amazing brother-in-law who I enjoy hanging out with and
who just happens to work at the hospital (so convenient!)... he does a great
job of looking out for us while Tyler is at home.
I am hopeful that we will get some
telling test results tomorrow morning that will help explain what the heck is
going on and maybe her bowels will start looking better so that she can start
eating again. She has mastered sucking on her pacifier the last two days (I am
sure she is hungry!) so I know that breastfeeding is going to go so much better
once she can try again.
Although it's only been two days
since we've been back we've already had help or offers of help from so many
friends and family again. Our biggest concern was for Fred but he is safe and
happy with his friends Susie, Dennis and Brody. Susie was at our house Sunday
but came right back early yesterday morning to rescue Fred from his kennel. She
reported that he was already settling in nicely and it sure is wonderful not
having to worry about him during all of this. Tyler can pick up and leave home
at a moment's notice if need be. My Mama offered to fly up again if we need the extra help and while I'd love to see her she and Katie will both be here for their scheduled visit in early October. Thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts
and deeds as we continue working on getting home happy and healthy!
We are always thinking of you and praying that the doctors will help little Caroline get better soon!
ReplyDeleteAimee, so glad that you (and Caroline!) are feeling so well taken care of back at Dartmouth. Hope Tyler shakes the cold, and that sweet little Caroline gets feeling better and better!!
ReplyDeleteLove, Joanie