Children's Hospital Boston

Caroline leaves on DART with her primary nurse Jessica and Nurse Practitioner Mike

Caroline is quite anemic right now and will require another transfusion possibly tomorrow


Caroline's view of Boston

Bedspace 15 with Daddy

Into a giant crib

My free room in the Parent Sleep Dungeon
We arrived here Friday afternoon after Caroline had seizures all night Thursday. Her endocrine doc at Dartmouth tried a new med (DDAVP) but due to miscommunication the nurses loaded her up on fluids based on her urine output before the drug was administered and then gave her the drug which essentially shut off her kidneys causing her sodium to drop severely and cause a night of seizures. I was at the hospital for most of the night and it was horrible to watch. The doctor in overnight called the endocrine guy at 4:30AM and when he didn't return the call I decided right then that we needed to get out of there and go someplace where there would be a team of experts helping Caroline and not just one guy. My mom did some research on Thursday afternoon because I was already feeling frustrated with DHMC and she discovered that Boston has the #2 pediatric endocrine program after the Children's Hospital in Philly. As soon as I told our team at DHMC that we wanted to leave they got everything ready and Caroline was flying out of there by 2PM on the DART chopper. I got here about an hour later (Ty got lost in traffic so he arrived about 2 hours later) and was relieved to meet a team of about 7 endocrine docs all surrounding her bedside discussing a plan. I also met the neurology team who were there to evaluate her because of the seizures. I will explain everything in more detail later - but we are here and Caroline is in good hands.

Comments

  1. Thank God! So glad you are in Boston now! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are with a big team of knowledgeable docs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you, Aimee, for all you, Tyler, and little Caroline have been through. Hope the transfusion helps Caroline to feel better today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Caroline has one thing going for her, it's that she has two great parents who do whatever it takes to make sure she gets the best care to get through all this.

    Aimee, seeing your baby girl take off on that helicopter... I just can't imagine how that must have felt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so rooting for the doctors there to figure things out! I know how heartbreaking it is to watch someone having a seizure, and for a tiny little girl, I can't imagine what that was like for you, Aimee, her own mother. My heart is with you all. You and Tyler are brave and strong..and Caroline, too. Love, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment