Day 83... it's snowing!

Day 81


If you've heard a rumor that we may be home soon you've heard right. I'm not getting too excited yet but we are working toward a homecoming on Halloween. Preparations have included:
  • Tyler and I both learning how to give the DDAVP shot
  • Aimee learning how to make the DDAVP with the pharmacists (and it only lasts an hour or two so you have to make it and give it pretty quickly... this could get tricky!)
  • Aimee learning how to place an NG tube in case we are ever snowed in and need to do it in an emergency (I actually had to put it in today... Caroline was a good sport and it wasn't as hard as I thought it's be)
  • Aimee learning how to crush, mix and give Caroline's synthroid and phenobarbitol
  • Getting prescriptions for meds, syringes, needles, NG tube supplies
  • Buying a diaper (kitchen) scale, baby vitamins, baby iron, and NeoSure to keep fortifying her breastmilk bottles
  • Scheduling follow up appointments with the pediatrician, endocrine, neurology, ophthalmology and the Dartmouth Developmental Clinic
  • Giving Caroline all of her 2-month vaccinations and Hep-B (these make me sad... we "double-team" her and give her the DDAVP and one vaccine each night at the same time but in different legs. She doesn't hate the DDAVP too terribly but the vaccines go into her muscle and she screams like a mad woman... so I cry like a baby!)
  • Getting the car seat installed and passing a car seat test
  • Creating an excel spreadsheet to log how much Caroline has eaten and when, how much and when she pee'd, when she poop'd, when her meds are given
  • Making sure she has eaten the exact amounts required at the right time and trying to squeeze in breastfeeding when I can (not working out so well... who wants to breastfeed after they've eaten a 2.5 ounce fortified bottle? Not Caroline. I'll have to keep pumping forever if I want her to get breast milk...)
  • Speaking of breastmilk, I have to keep pumping every 2-4 hours depending on the time of day. This gets tricky when a million different doctors and nurses are also trying to talk to you. Oh, and eating and sleeping and doing the occasional load of laundry too...
I'm sure I've missed something... but it's been busy and exciting and scary. It will be strange to have  a non-public bathroom, my own bed, and silence. Will I miss not having doctors and nurses around to ask questions of all the time? Probably, but that's what phones are for... and therapy! And we'll have so many follow-up appointments that maybe I'll be okay. Thankfully my leave of absence was approved from school so that I can stay home with Caroline this school year and make sure we get her safely through this most difficult stage.

Time to switch the laundry and go to bed for a few hours!

Comments

  1. God bless you Aimee! You are doing great handling all of the responsibilities of caring for Caroline.

    It is all so exciting to think of you as going home finally.

    How wise of you to create a spreadsheet to keep track of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee, I am so proud of you and all of have accomplished! I have never placed an NG tube so bravo to you! I always tell my parents that if their baby doesn't scream when I give their baby 4 shots at a time, then they should worry! Screaming means their baby is healthy and can feel pain! It does get easier on parents, over time. Great that you can still pump, although I know babies learn quickly that the bottle is faster, but maybe in time, as she grows stronger, just having a little snack from mom will be comforting to you both! Thanks for sharing all this info when I know you have million things to think about and get organized for home.It is great that you and Tyler are smart teachers, who are used to writing lesson plans! Caroline's care is truly a lesson plan!! How exciting to think Caroline will finally be home! What a great trick or treat!! Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine how nice it will feel for you to be at home. I am so glad your leave of absence was approved - you will be able to spend so much time with Caroline. Still thinking of you guys and hoping for a Halloween Homecoming!

    Tara Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried when I read this, just from feeling overwhelmed with what must be such a rollercoaster for you. I look back on these 3 months for you and I think "could I have done that?". I think any mother could - just with varying degrees of success both inward and outward. You seem to have such composure - though I know there were dark moments - ones you'll always remember. I wonder what you would have said on August 5th if someone had told you then what you would have to go thru with that little peanut. As we say in France, "Chapeau".

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear of all the progress Caroline has made. Looking forward to hearing about her continued growth. You all continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting to think you'll be home soon. We can't wait to have you back on Nelson Hill! What an amazing job you're doing Aimee keeping everything straight with Caroline's meds. I think you are incredible. Plan on having yours truly deliver a few hot meals once you are settled back home. Thinking of you guys as always. Love Jeanne And family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment