Visitors

I probably should have posted this sooner or had Tyler send out an email...

We have had a ton of requests since we've been home from friends and family members who would like to come meet Caroline, and while we can't WAIT to show her off to the world we are currently under doctor's orders to hibernate for a while so that we can keep her healthy. We were told to limit visitors for the first six weeks, and not to take Caroline into public places for three months (of course, this is difficult when we have doctors appointments all the time, but I keep her covered up in her car seat).  With that being said, if you want to visit please
  • only come over if you are healthy as a horse and have not been around anyone who is sick (sick meaning cough, cold, flu, cold sores, respiratory viruses, diarrhea, etc.)
  • keep the kids at home, especially if they are in daycare or attend school
  • if you are a teacher (which is 90% of the people we know or are related to!) please do not come over right after school
  • wash your hands and sanitize them as soon as you come in
  • don't be offended if you don't get to touch the baby
We've been home two weeks so far and Caroline has stayed healthy... we'd like to be home for a long time before she does get sick (which we know is inevitable, but we'd like her to get a little stronger first).  Please keep in mind that if a normal baby gets sick it is difficult to deal with, but if Caroline gets sick we have to give her emergency cortisol and take her to the hospital for constant fluid and electrolyte monitoring. Being a preemie with her medical history also puts her at a higher risk for RSV. While many kids and adults get RSV this time of year without even knowing it (it can be passed off as a common cold), RSV can be deadly in babies like Caroline. She has already gotten her first vaccine against it but will continue to get shots once a month until RSV season is over - sometime in the spring.

So I apologize for sounding like such a Grinch. Tyler and I are both really looking forward to introducing Caroline to all of the people we care so much about - so long as no one is sick!
"My Mom is such a helicopter-parent!"
"Dude! Come hang out with me on my big couch!"

Comments

  1. I don't blame you one bit for wanting to protect that little peanut! You've worked so hard to get her strong enough to cme home in the first place. We'll meet her someday when she's stronger. In the meantime, we'll keep reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terrified to sending Cameron to daycare, but I don't have an option. You are so lucky to be able to keep her home. It was a great choice! And as an added bonus, years from now you will be able to look back on all this time you got to spend with her and be so glad you got that time. She will be much happier and HEALTHIER for it (and so will you)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids both had RSV (at the same time) when one was 2 and one was 4 years old. It was terrible, and they were otherwise healthy babies/toddlers. I absolutely don't blame you for limiting Caroline's exposure to germs. One unsolicited piece of advice (feel free to tell me to buzz off!) is to request the doctor's appointments for first thing in the morning because they clean the doctor's offices every night. That way, all of the germy kids haven't coughed and sneezed all over the place yet. I know first thing in the morning isn't always convenient, but it may be cleaner then! I love the photo of Caroline on the "big couch"! I am so glad she is doing so well. Take care.

    Tara Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  4. We feel connected through the pictures ... keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So understandable Aimee & Tyler! You're doing such a great job!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. We think you are very wise being careful with who comes to visit. We don't think you are being too strict at all, just good parents! Follow the doctor's orders! With your blog updates and pictures of the little cutie pie, we feel like we get to see her a lot!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

    Love, Aunt Lisa and Great Grammie Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aimee,

    You are doing the right thing! Caroline is your priority now. You are a good Mama bear! If I were Caroline, I'd be happy that you were my mom!

    Love you and miss you,
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's why the photos are so great--we get to sneak a peek even if we can't come visit. I have had a mild cold...not much to me, but I know it would be wrong to visit.
    So just keep those pictures coming!!!
    Love, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with Tara. There are many reasons to prefer the early a.m. Dr.'s appointments - you are fresher, so is the baby, and so is the Dr. The Dr. is less likely to be backed up in his day and so less delays sitting in a loud crowded germ-infested waiting room. Also then you don't have it hanging over your head all day and any pharmacy runs can then still be done before lunch. As Caroline gets older this will still apply! And p.s. of course no one begrudges you any choice you make now - you can say "Because I'm the mom, that's why!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed! Sadly, I usually fit all of your "stay-away" criteria (child in pre-school, teacher, usually some mild ailment or another). YIKES! I love seeing pictures almost daily on the blog and Facebook- she looks strong. Keep up the amazing work!!! xoxo Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aimee,as a nurse working in a very high traffic area, with sick kids seen all day long, I agree with all the advise written above! Our motto is "foam in, foam out!" I would place some hand sanitizer right by your front door, so every visitor can clean their hands! p.s. don't let your kids play with the dr office toys! I know they are not cleaned daily!! Bring your own! Glad Caroline is staying healthy! That is all we wish for, and new photos on the blog! Love, Mart

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with you Aimee! It wasn't until about 6 months that I deemed Camille strong enough to be exposed to more germs (and of course she wasn't a preemie, so I say 9+ months for Caroline, lol). I still cringe when people grab her hands or face-- I think it's weird and annoying!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment