It's been a while!

We've had a relaxing weekend which has allowed me some time to blog - finally. The video above is from tonight - Caroline LOVES to talk! Most of you know that she was hospitalized this week unexpectedly; that was no fun. Basically we went to Dartmouth for a developmental assessment but on the way she threw up in her carseat. During the appointment she did it again, and before we left she threw up a third time. I sought the advice of the doctor before driving home and after consulting with the Boston endocrine docs it was decided that she should be admitted for IV fluid and observation just to make sure it didn't get worse. As soon as we were admitted she was acting fine - eating, sleeping - just not pooping (this had been a prior concern).  She was given emergency cortisol and a small amount of IV fluid, and by 5PM Wednesday we were on our way home. The worst part about the whole experience was the number of times Caroline had to be poked. Her veins are horrid so they had to do labs and insert the IV in her head, and then they did heal sticks every 4 hours to monitor her sodium. No fun for anyone.

The developmental assessment went well. Caroline scored average or above average in every category except gross motor skills, and that was because she still doesn't like to lift her head and turn from side to side when on her tummy. She will receive early intervention services to help with this.

Last night I hosted book club at our house. We read "The Help" (most of us read it last year) and decided it would be fun to cook up some southern food and watch the movie. I made fried chicken tenders and sweet tea - it was hard not to eat the leftovers for breakfast this morning. Ty and I have been snacking on them and the leftover salad from Annah all day. Yummy! The movie is as great as the book... and it was fun to see friends and to show off the babe, who was well behaved!

On Friday Caroline started Zantac for reflux. I am hoping to see a difference in the next day or so as it is incredibly sad to watch her in pain when she regurgitates milk.  It's also really difficult to feed her about half the time - no good for a kid who needs to gain weight.

New Years Day with Linnzi

Hanging with Aunt Jeanne

All the kids are napping

Fred enjoys reading about babies

Caroline loves Facebook



The only way she likes to keep her head up!

She loves her new bouncy seat from Sarah and Chris

Sharing a blanket keeps us both warm

I'm so happy!

Wearing borrowed clothes in the hospital since hers were so wet

Back home and happy again!

Fred's hiding after his haircut

My loves


Comments

  1. Wonderful to see the pictures and video and hear about your life. We had heard you had been to the hospital, but didn't know all the detail.

    Caroline is just so cute, I can hardly stand it!

    Love, Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about the hospital, but glad you were back home so soon. Caroline looks like she is doing great and I am so glad the developmental assessment went well. I am sure the early intervention will help with here gross motor skills. My kids both loved their bouncy seats. If it weren't for bouncy seats, I don't think I ever would have been able to cook supper! I love how Fred takes a nap with her!

    Take care,

    Tara Nelson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment