Today is Rare Disease Day - appropriate for leap day. Here is a little video about it:
On Friday Caroline had her 6-month vaccines which were followed by 3 sleepless nights for all of us. We thought maybe the vaccines were to blame until Monday when we brought her back to the pediatricians office and were told it looked as if she had picked up a stomach virus (maybe from the office visit on Friday?). We are still have issues with diarrhea so I was instructed to collect a stool sample last night and we are bringing it with us to Dartmouth for her appointment there today.
Susie came for a visit Friday night and was snowed in until Sunday morning. This weekend I wanted to make cloth wipes out of old t-shirts to go with Caroline's cloth diapers (why throw a wipe in the trash when you can just wash it with the diapers?). Susie got right to work on her fancy sewing machine and before the weekend was over we had 30+ wipes!
| Susie giving Caroline a sewing lesson |
On Sunday Caroline tried a bit of rice cereal... it went as well as can be expected. We got some pics and video. Because this was followed by diarrhea and some red spots on her bottom I thought maybe she was having an allergic reaction, but this was really the first signs of the virus.
In other fun news it seems that Caroline's DDAVP is on the FDA drug shortage list. I've been working since mid-January on getting all of her Rx's transferred to a mail-order program. Although it seems things are finally coming together and that we will have meds by next week, we needed some to fill the gap since our current bottle will be gone tonight. I called our local pharmacy Saturday for the refill and yesterday we were told that it's no longer available. After some Googling I discovered it is on the drug shortage list and promptly had a minor meltdown. I called our pediatrician and endocrinologist and told them both what I had discovered. They are both working to make sure that
1. we have some for tonight and 2. we have a long-term plan for dealing with potential shortages which may include a change in how we manage Caroline's diabetes insipidus. The good news in all of this is that I also called the specialty mail-order pharmacy and they DO have a few vials on their shelf and are able to get that to us next week. That will buy us more time until this gets figured out. I met a woman online (there is a facebook DI group) who also does the injections and she said there has been a shortage off and on since September 2010.
I have more pics and video to share but we need to leave for DHMC so I'll post later!

Good luck at Dartmouth today.
ReplyDeleteHope Caroline feels better and that her medicine works out!
We hope all went well at today's visit and that you located the medicine!
ReplyDeleteHope Caroline is feeling better.
Loved seeing the picture of Caroline and Susie at the sewing machine...how cool to think to make wipes!!
Loved seeing the video of Caroline's first cereal!!! She is a cutie, and so verbally expressive!
Joanie and Grammie
Wow that's a lot of news in one post. Let us know how things went at Dartmouth. I know Caroline is a special case, but I just wanted to add that sometimes both my girls had red spots that was more than "normal" diaper rash or whatever and I remember panicking. Sometimes they are there and then they would just go away.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, the French song you hear in the background of that video you posted today about Rare Disease Day is by a French artiste named "Gregoire". To translate the whole thing would make my comment too long, but it is called "Toi et Moi", and the refrain means:
ReplyDelete"You plus me plus them and everyone who wants it
Plus him plus her and everyone who is alone
Come and join in our dance
Come and join in carefree feeling"
The rest of the lyrics are quite lovely but I won't go on!
Hope Caroline's appointments go well and that she feels better by now. How scary to have a shortage of such an important medication. Glad you got things worked out. Never a dull moment...
ReplyDeleteI just got back from taking Heather to the doctor - turns our she has strep. And now Wayne is also sick. What a fun vacation we're having!