Meet and Greet (Lots of Pics!)

The past few days at home have been really, really tough. Tyler is doing a great job with Caroline, the house, the yard and the garden... I don't know what I'd do without him! We were discharged Friday around noon and all was well until that first night. I came down with a fever followed by chills and then nasty sweating. On top of that Grant told us that he doesn't like sleeping on his back or more than 2 inches away from his Mama... made for a long first night home. Saturday the fever/chills/sweats continued off and on until I finally gave in around 1:30AM Sunday morning and called the OB On Call. My milk had really come in Saturday and I thought maybe I was working on mastitis, but it doesn't seem that way now.

Sunday morning I felt slightly better but Grant wasn't waking up on his own to eat, so we took him to the hospital for lab work which all came back good. He is slightly jaundice but nothing major at all. While we were there the nurses checked his weight and watched him nurse to check his latch and suck and everything looked good. Sunday night Grant finally had about an hour of awake time which was so adorable! Around 1:30AM again I got another fever/chills/sweats. Yuck.

Monday I went to see my doc who wanted to make sure that the placenta was completely removed and it does appear to be gone. There are no signs of a uterine infection at all, actually. Came home from that only to get another fever Monday afternoon. Yuck. I started consulting Dr. Google and found no medical explanation for what I've been dealing with but did find a lot of women with the same symptoms postpartum. Who knows. This morning I had yet another fever/chills/sweats but have felt pretty good this afternoon. I even took Grant to his one-week check up all by myself so that we didn't have to wake Caroline up from her nap!

At Grant's appointment today I found out that his weight is actually going up already! Of course, I've been feeding him every 1.5-2 hours so he had to grow (and miraculously I am shrinking quickly)! The pediatrician said that everything else looked great.

Caroline goes in tomorrow for her own weight check with Tyler. Even before Grant was born we thought she looked much taller... compared to Grant she now looks like a huge girl! She's very good with him but I think being off her schedule and not being able to jump in mom's lap whenever she wants is making her a tad cranky. She's gone to Crazy Town a few times the past several days but I think once I am fully recuperated she will also return to normal.

Grant has had some visitors and I got pictures of all but one of them: Uncle Peter! I was in the midst of my fever when he stopped by so I was not thinking straight. We'll have a do-over with him and Jeanne later. :)

Caroline meeting Grant

Caroline poking Grant in the eye

"I'd like to make a return, please."

Family of 4

Grammie meeting Grant!

Sleeping Beauty

Our friends had their baby the day before us and they were in the recovery room next to us. This is Grant meeting his future girlfriend. :)

Someone wanted to test the car seat

A girlfriend sent this shirt: "I was made perfect and my parents kept me that way!"

Outside for the first time

Pulling into garage - both babies sleeping

Cute Welcome Home message from Grammie

Grampie meeting Grant


Uncle Matt meeting Grant

Cute little burrito... I've since learned that I can't swaddle him if I want to know if he's hungry! I need to see his little hands reaching for his mouth!
My Little Mister

Caroline bangs out some tunes on the piano

Caroline during a "Crazy Town" moment

She's signing "more" but there is no way we are having another baby!

Giving Grant's new Sleep Sound Giraffe a drink...

... and a little nibble of graham cracker

Then this happened...

Night-night for now!

Comments

  1. Wow! Things sound busy at your house for sure!

    Don't know what the chills and sweats is all about. I would have guessed Mastitis too. I wonder if it has something to do with fluctuating hormones post birth.

    I think your new little family seems very normal for when a new baby comes home for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant is a beautiful bundle of joy. Caroline looks like a mischievous big sister. We really enjoyed your photos.

    I was feverish for about 2 weeks after Cole was born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee, I am amazed that you are able to find time to post all of these wonderful photos!! Take time to put your feet up! Wonder if your symptoms were from the sudden drop in hormones? Wow! Sorry to hear that you had to go back to the hospital! Glad your milk is down and that Grant is a good nurser! It is a busy time, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing those pictures, Aimee. I love the look on Caroline's face in the first picture when she meets Grant. I remember finally mastering the swaddling thing only to find out that neither of my kids liked it. They always wiggled out of it! I hope you are feeling better.

    Tara N.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful family! Sorry to hear you've been feverish and that Caroline's been to Crazy Town and back-- here's hoping everyone settles in to the new routine soon. Looking forward to meeting my new cousinlet this summer and hanging with his big sister, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aimee, Just thought to also mention that night sweats and constant peeing is part of how your body gets rid of the extra fluid in your body from the pregnancy. Hope tings are going better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Tyler and Aimee! Grant looks so sweet! Caroline will adjust quickly (no choice, right?). Can't wait to meet him!
    Love the Peets

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment