10/9/12 from aa.com

Sweet PeaEvery one of Sweet Pea's milestones has been exciting, but watching her learn how to walk has got to be the most exciting of them all. Granted, she still only army crawls and she can't get into a sitting position on her own, nor can she stand up from a sitting position on her own, but once this girl is on her feet with her hands in mine there is no stopping her! I don't even know when this first started. It seemed like a week or so ago I was pulling her up into a standing position and then sort of helping her toddle back and forth between feet to get a taste of the correct movement. All of a sudden she didn't want me to sit her down because she wanted to walk all over the place (holding my hands of course, this is practice walking after all). I've heard that this practice business can take some time, which means a lot of bending over for this tall Mama and her tiny baby, but I am enjoying every second of watching Sweet Pea get the hang of it. It seems that in the last two months - since her first birthday - she has hit all kinds of developmental markers. Sweet Pea can now wave (but will not do it on command even if you say pretty please), clap, shake her head "no," say "yum" and "mama" and "uh-oh." She has been army crawling for some time and seems quite content not to ever get up on all fours (although the past day she has been doing a lot of rocking back and forth like she is getting ready for it!). These milestones are a big deal for any parent, but for a graduate of the NICU I feel like maybe I have more appreciation for them. I know what it feels like to watch my child struggle to stay alive, so to watch her so effortlessly do these "normal" baby things is simply amazing. It's also just another reminder that I am very lucky to be home with her where I can watch her develop in front of me!  

Comments