Things I am Thinking About

Today was the last day of school for my comrades in Atlanta. Around this time last year I had said my tearful goodbyes to beloved co-workers and former students and then headed home to pack up my car for my trip to Vermont. Fred and I packed all night and then got up early on Saturday morning to start driving to my new home! I can't believe I've almost lived in Vermont for a year already. Time sure does fly when you are old...

Speaking of old. I turn 33 next Wednesday... definitely not old, but not 23 either! Since we're still in school for a few more weeks this will be the first time I've had celebrated my birthday at school - sort of fun, but also strange. Unfortunately I have a language arts in-service and a dentist appointment that day; fortunately I can't get a sub for the full day so I only have to miss the second half. Missing any classroom time at the end of the school year is just asking for punishment in my opinion. Although a mini-vacation away from the kids is good in the moment, the day-after is so hellish that it ruins the fun.

We have a busy weekend... tomorrow my kids (and Tyler) are running the Dandelion Run as a fundraiser for IROC. I have 10 kids running - it is the first real race for all of them and I am so excited for them! I sent them home with race plans on Thursday and today they all promised they were going to have pasta for dinner and drink lots of water. After the race I am meeting with a florist to discuss options for flowers for the wedding. I had wanted to grow all my own flowers but I am afraid that if something goes wrong I'll be flower-less. Tomorrow night Tyler and I are going to what should be our last fundraiser for the 8th grade class trip - a variety show at the American Legion in Island Pond. It should be a fun event, and if all goes well we will have finished raising over $7,000 for Boston.  Sunday should be more laid back - I have a ton of grading to get done while Tyler does a fun run near our house for his high schools' National Honor Society. We'd like to get the lawn mowed and do some garden work, but it would also be nice to kick back and enjoy the sunshine!

This past Wednesday my 7th graders began incubating 34 chicken eggs. They should hatch on June 9-10 while I am on the trip with the 8th graders. We are hoping to have a 50% hatch rate with at least half of the chicks being hens. Guess who gets to take the chicks home... Me! If we end up with a ton of extra chicks we will offer them to the kids - many of them already keep chickens at home. I am sad that I won't be there to watch them hatch, but the kids have created a blog for people to monitor their project and in the end, will create a picture book to share with the kids in the younger grades.

Happy weekend everyone - it finally feels like summer is here!

Comments

  1. we're having the same "i can't believe how fast time has gone by" feelings - and especially knowing that all of the RCS peeps are on summer break now! we still have a good 5 weeks ahead of us and are plunging into winter, but can't believe that it's been almost an entire two years we've been here.
    exciting about your chickens; are you going to keep them?? i am sure fred will LOVE that!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment